Theory by non-hacker

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by jojohnst, Sep 18, 2007.

1. jojohnst

jojohnst New Member

Is it possible that apple is building an apps-creation platform within Leopard? Now that they've annouced iphones for europe (today/tomorrow) what's left to annouce at the Paris Expo Sept. 24-29? I figure something about Leopard. Also you've had a bunch of OS guys pulled of Leopard to help with the iphone/touch OS, (hence leopard delay) so you might expect there'd be some enhanced compatability, no? Anyhow, since Leopard is still (sort of) far off, if my theory were correct (it probably isn't) is there any way that could help a hacker today? Do we know anything about Leopard drivers or whatever? Probably not. Ok, well, I'm going to shut up now and let the hackers get back being awesome. I'd like mail and ebook, if possible. thanks.
  2. veryniceipod

veryniceipod Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I also believe Apple might add iPod Touch/iPhone integration into Leopard.
  3. Lousansano

Lousansano New Member

I remember also at one point someone found somewhere in
    Xcode Leopard signs pointing to some sort of iphone sdk.
  4. nintendodude

nintendodude New Member

im sure they will have some cheesy little "build your own iWidget" or soemthing tiny like that
    prolly nothing cool though
  5. jojohnst

jojohnst New Member

xcode and dashcode?

I was looking into Leopard's new features and some of these "developer's tools" seemed, to my admittedly uniformed eye, to be pretty perfect for "hacking"/developing apps for itouch/phone. Could someone with a better grasp on these things let me know if this signifies something?

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/developer/

xcode and dashcode seem particularly promising (for someone who can work them).

Please Register or Log in to view images

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. fsteele

fsteele New Member

Leopard/iPod touch/iPhone

Xcode and Dashcode are updated versions of Apple's standard developer tools for Mac OS X.

The new Xcode is reported to add support for an updated version of Objective-C and additional "scripting language" interfaces.

Dashcode is the widget-builder that came out when widgets launched (10.4?).

Xray, which is also listed on that page, is an all-new program focused on debugging applications by interacting with them as they run.

It appears that these tools CAN be used (and are being used) to develop applications for JailBroken iPhones (see http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/RDM.Tech.Q3.07/3B84E3A4-A6F6-4EA1-A48E-149BE29AB107.html ). I think Apple's reluctance to support an SDK and grow a developer community around the iPod Touch and iPhone results from one or both of two factors:

1) Apple is internally divided into two groups now. One is focused on the Mac, i.e. traditional computing. The other is focused on the iPod and consumer electronics. Both groups rely on OS X within most of their products now, but so far, none of the iPod group's products (AppleTV, iPhone, iPod touch and older iPods, Airport Express) has offered a documented way for developers to extend the products.

2) How do you build a toolkit for the new multitouch stuff? Interface Builder is the Apple tool for creating the look and feel of a Mac app. In it, you can build the blueprint of an application in minutes. It's that easy because it's very familiar: Almost every Mac app will have menus, including File, Edit, View, and Help. Almost every Mac app will have some sort of document window, and window controls, etc. For the new touch interface, there will have to be a whole new vocabulary established, a 21st Century Human Interface Guidelines, and the tools will develop out of that.

I'm optimistic that Apple is going to push its multitouch advantage, but it's a major game-changer for developers. I think it's more likely that we get a multitouch SDK at next years Developer's Conference, and I hope that it will be for more than the iPod touch and iPhone.

I did see a wild rumor somewhere suggesting loads of new features in Leopard for the iPod, including pulling items from your home Mac, but I can't find the link now.