Themes & customizations slows it down?

Discussion in 'iOS Themes and Customization' started by Xeno Templar, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Xeno Templar

Xeno Templar New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I hope this is the right section for this question.
    Is it the Winterboard & WB themes that make it slower? Ya, I know I have what some of you may consider to be a PoS iPT but it was given to me so I can't complain considering the price: FREE!
    If not then exactly what is it thats making it so damn slow?
    I hope its not a memory problem, when in Settings/General/About
    it says:
    (*So & so's*) IPod
    Songs 257
    Videos 0
    Photos 0
    Applications 52
    Capacity 7.1 GB
    Available 4.5 GB
    So on,so fourth but w/ 4.5 GB free I don't think its a memory problem but I'm still SLOWLY figuring this thing out, after-all, I've only had it 2 weeks (TOPS!) now, I don't get it, should I just stick w/ the regular-blah background, as if I never JB'ed it?
  2. iDestiny

iDestiny Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    On iOS4, the native shadows and image formatting that Apple apply to the iPod will slow it down. On any other OS, it is not as noticeable. Slowdowns are mainly caused by backgrounding applications be it native or through the use of Jailbroken apps. You know that your iPod has reached its processing capacity when you open SBSettings and it says that the amount of free memory/RAM is ~7mb (and yes this is DIFFERENT from the flash memory you use to write songs). You may free up memory by opening processes and deleting the ones you don't need and then tapping 'Free Memory'. I have heard that adding Mobile Substrate add ons cause major slowdowns.

I use Winterboard, and I usually have around 46 mb free, so it definitely causes little, if any slowdown. To speed up your iPod you may install iMemory enhance from Gumball Tech http://civviesltd.com/ipod/ipod-touch/imemory-enhancer-add-more-memory-to-your-idevice/ (be wary it can damage your device, it will bring up free memory to about 80 mb) Or you may disable launchdaemons using SSH http://modmyi.com/forums/file-mods/682255-speed-up-your-iphone-ipod-removing-launch-daemons.html They are processes which run in the background and hence slow up your ipod.
  3. Al Roker

Al Roker New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Uh... I have 126mb of available memory. Any ideas on why mine is significantly larger?
  4. Xeno Templar

Xeno Templar New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    umm... lets see mines a 1G 8GB & yours is 3G 32GB, would that make a difference!?
    i would think so
  5. Al Roker

Al Roker New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Processes lag a device regardless of it's capacity, SA. "Available memory" is not referring to how much space I have left on my iPod for things such as apps, songs, and videos.
  6. shashanknegi

shashanknegi Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    ya your available memory is your RAM, and with that, you can run more apps or have an app pop/load faster.
  7. Xeno Templar

Xeno Templar New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    ok, you got me there, but out of curiousity:
    what is the RAM specs (or, for that matter - specs for the whole internal workings of an iPT, or my model in particular, if diff. from a 2G/3G)?
    is there an app., via Cydia or App Store, that will scan my system and tell me whats what for the specs and/or how much of any type of internal memory, aside from the obvious 8GB?
  8. shashanknegi

shashanknegi Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Sbsettings does that, just look at available memory on the bottom.
  9. Appman

Appman Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    He means he has a 1gen iPod, which had much lower RAM and processor than the new 3g iPods.
  10. Xeno Templar

Xeno Templar New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    • Immature or obscene comments
    Thank you, thats exactly what i was saying, think of it as a computer the more free space you have on the HD the more RAM it can actually run, though I already admitted they were right about my "SA" response to his stupid-ass ? in the first place, none-the-less, the more RAM you have, the more you can run, I have LITERALLY A PoS (AND, I DO MEAN THAT LITERALLY, A PIECE of sh*t!) Dell Inspiron 600m laptop (And, AGAIN, I LITERALLY mean a SERIOUSLY "PIECE of sh*t" laptop that CURRENTLY has 512MB + 256MB RAM, which = (you want to do the math? (PRETTY DAMN EASY if I do say so myself!) Do you understand now, the Pos, 1G, 8 GB iPT I have right now, is sh*t compared to yours, rub it in why don't you!? But, anyways, do you get my drift, the bigger the HD, (as in iPT terms "FREE MEMORY" as your saying, means MORE RAM!) Get it through your head, stupid-f***! Lets make this clear, I've already looked into a means of "Speeding-up", this little PoS (in-case you don't know, PoS = Piece of sh*t!) laptop that was, just like the PoS 1G, 8GB iPT that were BOTH given to me FREE of CHARGE (so, I really can't complain!) but, none-the-less the MORE "Free Space", by what my uncle tells me, and, I would take his word over just about anyone else's I've ever met!, you have on your HD, the more your computer can ACTUALLY handle as RAM, meaning that PoS Dell Inspiron 600m CURRENTLY has those two I was just talking about and, as I said before, my uncle tells me that this PoS laptop can ONLY handle 1 GB in place of BOTH of the 512MB + 256MB RAM chipps, which WOULD, IF I DECIDE TO CHANGE IT UP TO THAT, ONLY speed-it-up by just a notable amount, but a laptop is subject to another category!
    Now whos an SA, b*tch!?