Theme without Winterboard

Discussion in 'iOS Themes and Customization' started by dbyjazz, May 1, 2010.

1. dbyjazz

dbyjazz New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It's been done before and I've read many threads from the past saying it can't be done. But there was some talk about it at http://[PIRACY].com a while back and they were doing it but without explanation of how.

Yes my device is jailbroken and I've logged into it via ssh. I've been able to change the dock but I want to have a wallpaper. Again.. It has been done.

Before you get all defensive

My reason for not wanting Winterboard is because it eats up ram which in tern eats at your battery life. So please don't argue that "it doesn't eat up that much ram and battery" because in all reality it does. Thanks

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    I'd take Winterboard simply because it's non-destructive.
  3. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yea themeing without winterboard is easy, all you got to know is where the images are and then move them there replacing the default ones
  4. dbyjazz

dbyjazz New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    yeah I do like winterboard but it needs to be updated as far as performance goes.

And do you know how I can set a wallpaper on my springboard?
  5. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    all i know is that its somewhere in coreservices file.
  6. dbyjazz

dbyjazz New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    do you know if it's in SpringBoard.app?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    well I do know if you have a 3G and you're using the 4.0 software you can't have wallpaper. That is unless you change

Code:
    <key>homescreen-wallpaper</key>
    <false/>
    to

Code:
    <true/>
    but I don't know if there is a way to do that with 3.x
  7. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

Winterboard replaces the images in the cache with the images you specify. After that, unless you're running an animated wallpaper using JavaScript, the only 'RAM' being eaten is by MobileSubstrate, which a lot of Cydia-installed apps which modify system behavior need anyways. You can replace the files manually... but at the same time, there's no point to it, since WinterBoard does that for you when you turn on a theme, and afterwards will not do anything until you respring and rebuild the SpringBoard cache in the process.

In other words, once it's replaced the image, it doesn't need to do anything else unless you're one of those morons with an animated background, Cydgets running in the background, or else have an HTML-based wallpaper for things like a clock. Your major power usage will be from any other daemons running (like the SSH daemon that you're using with your jailbroken device), which would be installed when you jailbroke ANYWAYS, as Cydia installs MobileSubstrate for things like SBSettings (and for itself, IIRC).

Beyond that, there's technically no 'Wallpaper.png' to replace anywhere in OS 3 or earlier - if you look in /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app, you'll see all the other files (FSO_BG, the battery icons), but no Wallpaper.png to replace. IIRC, WinterBoard actually has to modify the com.apple.SpringBoard app itself on building the SpringBoard.cache to add the wallpaper to the graphics, and then has to do so for each 'page' you create if you create more than one wallpaper. There's no actual wallpaper for you to modify by using SSH - that feature just doesn't exist natively in anything below OS 4, and had to be hooked into the SpringBoard by either SummerBoard, WinterBoard, or BossPaper and then built into it when the cache is created.

And that cache is rebuilt anytime you respring, or install/remove apps, so even hard-copying the file in, should you find some way to do so, would do you no good as the next respring would wipe said cache out (and the modified SpringBoard file, which you'd have to modify BEFORE the SpringBoard was loaded).
  8. Jibblejab

Jibblejab New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    • Irrelevant/off-topic posts
    Is supercharged better?

Considering Apple constantly release new iDevices, i doubt you will keep your current one for more than 5 years so SuperCharging is the way to go