Theme Review Day 2: Hydrogen

Discussion in 'iOS Themes and Customization' started by spoonforknife, Apr 23, 2009.

1. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

Please Register or Log in to view images

Hydrogen
    by Louie Mantia

Today's set of icons was actually released today. Hydrogen, by Louie Mantia, this set of icons is only available from his website, so get it there. It has been a long time since his last icon set, and this one is really incredible.

If you do not already know about Louie Mantia, he is a fairly well-known graphic designer (and pirate enthusiast) working for The Iconfactory who has done the graphical design for many well known iPod touch applications (Convert, Nice List, Twinkle, Tap Tap Revenge) as well as Mac OS X design.

As a disclaimer, do not modify and redistribute this set of icons without permission or consent of Louie Mantia.

DESIGN

Like most of Mantia's other work, this set of icons exudes refinement. Mirroring the default set of icons, it's a complex and refined reflection of Apple's set. I will even go as far to say that these should be the default set.

Hydrogen is well designed. By using Apple's general template and simply making the icons far more smooth and crisp, it seems as if you are looking at the same screen, only... better.

Some of the icon concepts are really original, like that of Maps. It takes the regular Maps icon and then makes the color scheme like that of a snowy day: grey roads and white land. It's really elegant. Another one of my favorites is the Music icon, which takes the Apple TV color scheme/lens flare and overlays a music note over.

The only very, very minor issue I have with the design is the Photos icon. The border is just too large and overwhelms the icon. Other than that, Hydrogen is simply perfection.

CREATIVITY

By mirroring the initial set of icons in their design, the originality is kind of shot down with this. In addition, many of Mantia's other iPhone icons are startlingly similar to these, particularly Dashboard's. It seems as if some of his existing icons were merely touched up.

SELECTION

Hydrogen is bare-bones. That's because it isn't a theme. It's a set of icons, and this is quite apparent by the fact that release threads are labeled "Hydrogen (iPhone icons)" and his website's section is called "iPhone Icons." It is not meant to be a theme, but simply a set of icons that replace the default set. I've tried to make that apparent in this review, but if you have not caught that, here you are now.

At a paltry 24 icons, Hydrogen does not have a status bar, or anything else besides the dock, wallpaper, custom labels, and icons. It has no icons for anything 3rd-party, including incredibly popular applications like Cydia and Winterboard. Mantia also did not provide a template to make similar matching icons.

If you are disappointed, this is really how it's really supposed to be. To be kind, he threw in a dock, custom icon labels, and a few App Store icons.

PACKAGING

Hydrogen is packaged quite nicely on Mantia's website, with small glamour preview and a download. It does provide a very handy set of instructions for new users along with a disclaimer.

However, it is not packaged as to specifications, with the .theme appendage at the end. It would be nice to have it on Cydia, but it is still quite easy to install it without computer access with Safari, Safari Download Plugin, and iFile. Other than that, there is nothing wrong with the packaging of Hydrogen. You can use it with Winterboard.

Design: 9.5/10
    Creativity: 7/10
    Selection: 10/10
    Packaging: 4.5/5
    Overall: 4.5/5
  2. mieraisamazing

mieraisamazing Banned

ehh.
    not that great. like you mentioned, looks like the original with more style.
    it is nice, but would be nicer if he had released it with A LOT more icons.
  3. iKeablr

iKeablr Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    @mieraisamazing
    It is not the quantity of icons but the quality. I mean do you expect Louie Mantia to do that for 80 icons come on. That is too time consuming. To do all that. The quality is magnificent. Glad SFK posted this or I would have missed it.
  4. mieraisamazing

mieraisamazing Banned

well yes of course. but who is gonna use this theme with only 23 icons?
    not only that, the quality isn't that great. he added more color to the original icons. ya its nice colors and brilliant work that i couldn't do, but it is still too plain.
  5. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

You completely missed the point. It's a set of icons, to be used in conjunction with others. In addition, he didn't just add color. What are you talking about? These were obviously not modifications of the default icons. These are his own work.

Most of the icons are fairly similar to the default set, but they are obviously quite different in many ways. I said the style was similar, not the actual design.
  6. mieraisamazing

mieraisamazing Banned

just my opinion on things.
    i liked the icons. just definitely not what i would call unique
  7. DaAlmighty1

DaAlmighty1 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    They'd be great to use with the default theme.