The Worst and Best. App Store Review

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by Rougelead, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Rougelead

Rougelead New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    The App Store is over expensive. We got similar applications for free that the App Store now would like us to pay. Some are at an “ok” price and others are just outrageously expensive.

Lets start with the Iphone applications first:

Electronic Books - $9.99 to $17.99
    Currently 9

4 in a row - 4.99
    Remember that game called...umm...well...I can't remember but it was on installer under the same name for free. This version just looks better and you can connect to another Iphone.

Air Hockey - $0.99

This version of Air Hockey looks very bad compared to the installer, and you’re paying 99 cents more!

Mahjong - $9.99

Looks a lot better than the installer version, and when I say that I mean it’s got a background now instead of black. So a $10 background.

Finger painting - $1.99

No other way to say this, but this is Sketches on the installer. You can draw over pictures and maps.

(Another) Air Hockey - $2.99
    No pictures were included with this so I can only assume you’re getting ripped off.

Flashlight - $0.99
    Biggest rip off! Even on installer the entire app was just a white screen! Compared to other applications this is a rip off.

Ok sorry this is the biggest rip off...

English to German Dictionary - $29.99

This is Free on installer and I used it every day! FOR FREE!

French to English Dictionary - $29.99

Come on this is terrible who would by this for that much?

French Dictionary and thesaurus - $29.99

Really!

There is more they are all the same price, I'm disappointed...

Labyrinth - $6.99
    Ok, even there was a price for the installer version, but it came with trials.

Photo Dial - $14.99
    Why would apple make us pay for an App that many got for free on the installer?

Favoreter - $2.99
    This is the same thing as Photo Dial! Why do we need a second?

Pianist - $5.99
    Everyone should all know this is free on installer

Solitaire - $7.99
    This game, on the installer, was fun! I played it everyday. But why 8 bucks?

Sudoku - $7.99
    Sudoku books cost less that this!

Pool - $5.99

The installer version was fun; sure it was only a 5 game trial, but still.

Blackjack - $2.99
    A deck of cards cost about that much! For a bonus you can play with your friends for money!

Vegas Solitaire - $2.99
    Now this one is really disappointing...It is terrible...It’s not even in wide screen mode. The background is all grainy and the cards are really small. So free is better yet again.

Video poker - $1.99 and $4.99
    The cheep version of this game looks horrible and the expensive one looks amazing...I think apple is just doing this to make you buy the more expensive version.

Now here is the ones I found to be really stupid.

Web Search - $1.99
    This is an application that allows you to search on either MSN or Yahoo...LIKE YOU COULDN'T GO THERE ON SAFARI!

Weight Tracker - Free
    To summarize this app...You’re just writing down what your weight is, but on an Iphone. Sure it is good to know how much you loosed.

Now here are 3 apps that do the same thing but cost different.

VoiceNotes - Free
    Voice Notes - $9.99
    Voice Record - $0.99

Now I was shocked when I saw the first two, the only thing that is different is there is a space in between 'Notes'.

They are all the same...You can make as many Recordings as you wish. And surprisingly you can play them back. Why the price differences? And why 3? Two would be good enough.

Picocalc Free - Free
    To be honest I don't know what this is, its in Japanese; it looks like the dialer on the Iphone

Phone Saber - Free

Now you might be thinking wow! A light Saber! All this is a graphic light Saber that moves back and forth while you move your Iphone side to side. I think pretending that my Iphone is a light saber is cooler then watching a graphic move back and forth.

Paquet - $4.99

This is the weirdest version of Tetris yet. It’s just too weird, I would have to buy it to find out how to play.

My Picks:

Pcalc - $9.99
    This is a scientific calculator/Unit converter. There is a Unit Converter on the installer and a scientific calculator but this one is combined and you can transfer your calculation into a different measurement with a couple clicks.

Jott for Iphone - Free

This is another voice recording application. However, this version records your notes and changes them to text. In other words this is a voice to text application. Now after reading the other three voice recorders this one takes the cake!

Friends - $4.99
    This application is just like the photo dial application I reviewed at the top. This one even looks cooler. Why are there so many similar applications? Anyways this is just the slandered click the photo and you dial the number, but if you didn't like the photo dial this one is for you.

File Magnet - $4.99
    This is one of the more impressive applications that I was sure apple wouldn't let happen. Basically, it allows you to use your Iphone as a portable drive in which you can store photos to word documents. The only downside is you need to have a Mac and it does not work on windows.
  2. Nt1440

Nt1440 New Member

lets stop right here so u can edit that post, APPLE doesnt MAKE or make you buy the apps, DEVELOPERS chose what they wanted to charge, so dont ask all these "why apple" or "apple wants you to pay for the more expensive one" because its a lie.

alright?

edit: the similiar (or downright duplicate) apps are just developers who had the same idea, or like a few, are the free version stolen, then given a slightly different name and submitted into the appstore by jerks
  3. Rougelead

Rougelead New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Alright your correct apple did not make most of the applications. However they do make a small profit off these applications.
  4. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    30%. THIRTY FRICKIN PERCENT. That is not a Major Profit whatsoever.
  5. Rougelead

Rougelead New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I did not say that it was, i said small.
  6. Teslanaut

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Is Apple not entitled to that money? Is a COMPANY let alone a BUSINESS not entitled to earn money for something they create?
  7. Nt1440

Nt1440 New Member

that still doesnt mean apple has any control over what people choose to develop, only what gets in, and the only things they block from coming in are innapropriate things and apps taht violate the terms of the SDK
  8. die444die

die444die New Member

30% is not Apple's profit. It would be if it cost apple nothing to host the apps, test the apps, etc. Considering the developer receives free advertising and hosting, I would not consider 30 percent to be unjustified.
  9. Teslanaut

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Developers get 70%.

Apple gets 30%.

Unjustified... To who?
  10. die444die

die444die New Member

sure, they get 30% up front, but they have bandwidth costs and testing costs which come out before you can call it "profit". So their actual profit is less than 30%. To claim that they are profiting 30% and not to take these things into consideration is incorrect. That is my point.