The ways apple could screw up this SDK

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by seldon452, Oct 22, 2007.

1. seldon452

seldon452 New Member

So all my friends who have not hacked their ipod are rubbing in my face that they will be able to get third party apps with out risking having their stuff bricked thanks to the new SDK. Well, I quickly set them straight. I listed the ways this could all go to hell.
    1) Apple charge for the apps. Why the hell would anyone get these apps for money if they can get better ones for free?
    2) Apple will kill customize and Summer board. This is not really a problem with the SDK just apple. They will not allow stuff tinkering with the root access of the ipod.
    3) Apple will only let the apps it wants through. They will limit the SDK to just allow people to have stupid games that don't do anything cool.

Thats all I can think of right now but please add if you have more.
  2. rokrboy

rokrboy Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPod touch
    They are probably going to sell something stupid like bejeweled as an app. I don't expect it to be very impressive but apple may just "wow" us .
  3. BCS321

BCS321 New Member

4. Collateral

Collateral Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
  5. flash84x

flash84x New Member

i feel very safe assuming that when they said apps must be digitally signed, that means there will only be big names developing the apps... no homebrew unless your jailbreak... also, who knows, they may only distribute the SDK to developers willing to fork out large amounts of cash for it
  6. avaloncourt

avaloncourt New Member

I already posted this in another thread on the very same topic but Apple isn't going to allow release of applications they don't like through official channels. If they don't want something on the iPhone/Touch they simply won't approve it and it will have to wash through Apple before it can be released as an approved application allowed to be installed through their own system.

If you go back to the original SDK announcement it says:

What does that tell you? You can't get it on an iPhone/Touch unless they say it can. Apple is the gatekeeper making decisions about approved applications. So, if it goes against Apple's own business interests you can guarantee it won't make it to release.
  7. KrayZieAsSPiNoy

KrayZieAsSPiNoy New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    But like.
    Don't THEY like it?!
    Some people who LOVE to hack and mod invested money for a 3/400 iPod touch.
    That means, their stocks and sell ratings are going up quickly.
    If they took away our privelage for putting 3rdpartyapps, people are just going to whine and complain, and just dont buy the iPod at all.
    Just like comparing what happened to the iPod classic/nano's accesories that you have to buy another accesories to make it work ='/

Why are they being soo b*tchy about 3rd party apps?
    Just let us be.
    Let us do whatever on the iPod.
    Plus, its OUR iPod anyway.
    its no longer Apple's property.
    and..whocares about the warranty anyway?
    the "genius" thinks he's all that, apple wont give you a replacement till you beg them for 230495723475 hours.
    grr.damn

sorry for ranting.
    Apple needs to stop b*chin though!
  8. avaloncourt

avaloncourt New Member

That one is so obvious it should have hit you in the forehead. MONEY. Companies will be selling third party applications. If someone gives away a third party app that doesn't have to go through Apple then the one intending to sell it loses out. Why does Apple care? Easy enough. The sale would wash through the iTunes store and Apple makes MONEY. For some reason the Apple fanboys won't believe that Apple is capable of anything but Peace, Love and iPods. I think the release of the iPhone shows that they are willing to sell you and and screw your mother at the same time for business interests.

Yes, people whine and Apple gives a litte. They gave back a little money but the iPhone users are still required to use AT&T for which Apple is getting MONEY from the subscription. It was a little give for a whole lot of grab. The iTunes credit didn't hurt Apple that much because it's their store. It's not like they were paying someone else for their greed. So they take a little hit for songs and you take a big hit for a cell plan. They made out in the end.

When it comes to the Touch there is no cell subscription so they will make their money selling you things you find interesting. Apple already spread fear, uncertainty and doubt with the iPhone bricking. Look at the dozens of individual threads started here by people who know nothing about the workings of a computer but trying to decide if they want to chance jailbreaking their Touch. They're scared to death that they will brick their Touch and void their warranty.

Apple had a huge quarter report and that was before the Touch release. Can you imagine what the next will be like? Apple wants even more money. Did they let you put your own Games on an iPod? No. It had to wash through them. The same will apply for the applications. There will be an iTunes application store to take even more money out of your pocket.
  9. KrayZieAsSPiNoy

KrayZieAsSPiNoy New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks for the long reply avaloncourt.
    You're right.
    its all about the money.
    Plus, its Apple.
    they can do whatever it takes to brainwash people and force them to buy an iPod =]

I just dont get it why they need money for that $h*&
    Cant we just do whatever on a product we bought?!
    If they just stop restricting us from doing these things, Apple still get money for selling tons of iPods that is hackable.
    Plus, doing those kinds of stuff wont hurt thhe company!

I bet someone who works at Apple has a jailbreaked iPod touch or iPhone and running 3rdParties.
    ..stupid hypocrites.

Stupid Jobs..him and his balding head =]
    ...or is it because he's sooo stupid and just wants money that he cant jailbreak his own product, the iPhone himself!!! HAHAHAHA!
  10. avaloncourt

avaloncourt New Member

That's not in their own business interests. They sold a locked-down device to force you to spend lots of money putting things on that device. Ultimately Apple answers to it's shareholders and the shareholders want dividends. The dividends come from profit from sales. The more sales the more dividends. Any company won't give away anything unless there's a motive. Apple doesn't subsidize its product so they get you coming and going. It's a closed system. It probably killed Jobs to advocate non-DRMed music. That will eventually cut into their bottom line a little. They have to make up for it somewhere.

Look at Verizon. They lock down everything about their phones to sell you something for every function on it. There are plenty of models that can be hacked and I have one. I've never paid Verizon a cent more than my basic subscription fee and I never will.

Those of us who have gone down the jailbreaking road are a tiny fraction of touch users. We're insignificant. The average person will never do anything to their touch other than pay Apple for the priviledge of using it.