The Ultimate Guide On Linux For Beginners

Discussion in 'Linux' started by vanden9, Jun 2, 2008.

1. vanden9

vanden9 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    First before I start might I say the post limits on there really sucks and makes it hard for me to make a long guide such as this.

Ok you just resized that Windows XP sucks and your to poor to buy a Mac what do you do well you use linux there are many Linux distro and i will help you pick one...

What is Linux in my mind

Linux is what you make it.
    Its a highly customizable operating system, a little known competitor to MS windows. It can look exactly like more commonly used OS's or can be something unique to you, for the uses you want it to be used for, usually with no added cost.It comes in all shapes and sizes and caters for many peoples needs, from the uber programmer to the basic desktop user, and should be considered by all as a serious alternative to other operating systems,

Here a great article I found on why Linux Pwns your OS take the time to read it..
    Put the main points go as this
    1. Security and Stability
    2. Ratio of money spent versus quality of software
    3. Configurability and control
    4. Ease of installation of software
    5. Excitement in industry / momentum of Linux movement
    6. Built as a networking platform and is adapting to the desktop, not the other way around, as Windows was.
    7. A wealth of online help and documentation is available
    8. Running Linux is very enabling and educational.
      Take the time to read it here

Why Linux is Better..
    • Forget about any real viruses...
    • Very stable....
    • It free don't pay $300 for your operating system...
    • Update all your software with a single click...
    • You dont have to copy/download software illegally if you can get it for free...
    • Need new software? Don't bother searching the web, Linux gets it for you.
    • While Vista and osx and just started you can just jump to the next generation of desktops.
    • Choose what your desktop looks like.
    • Enjoy free and unlimited support.
    • You don't wait years for bugs to be solved, report and track them down.
    • No more dam restarting after you installed a little app...
    • Linux has many music players (including AmaroK, Rhythmbox, Banshee, etc.), and some of them are great. Look at AmaroK it manages and plays your music perfectly, learns which tunes you prefer, automatically fetches their title (and lyrics) on the Internet, and even gets the CD covers for you!
    • So many other that you will see in your day to day life after you use linux...

How to download and burn Linux to a disk...

1. Pick a Linux Distro
    2. Go to the offical site of the Linux distro or a 3ed party website like LinuxTracker(need a bit******* client...)
    3. Save the Disk Image(.ISO) to your download folder or your desktop...
    4. Use a software burn App that has support to burn A disk Image like ImgBurn
    5. You have just burn the iso now lable it and place it back into your cd drive...

Pick A Linux Distro

Now unlike OSX and Windows, with Linux you have so many "flavors" to pick from...This can be over welling to many people who are used to have maybe 1 or 2 to pick from but never fear that what this guide is for...

Desktop Environment
    Desktop Environment are a little hard to explan to windows users but I shall try... Like I said befor Linux is really about chose and you can pick what you want is your OS... There are tons of Desktop Environment to pick from...Most of you use the Explorer shell built into Windows... built Linux has tons of you to pick from so your not forced into anything.... You can install any Desktop Environment on any linux disrto You can pick from

1. KDE:
    2. GNOME:
    3. Enlightenment:
    4. Xfce

Might I add due to the post limts I have other parts that I will be adding so pls hold off on the posting.
  2. vanden9

vanden9 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ubuntu
    The most well know Linux Distro is Ubuntu...Here a great sum up from distrowatch about ubuntu
    Why To Use Ubuntu over others...

1. Great community: This is were ubuntu really shines, The community over at the ubuntu forum and here in the Qj forums..Someone always takes the time to help you out..No matter how big of a noob you or you questions are someone is just about willing to help you out..

2. Package manager :Synaptic Package manager is one of the best Package manager out there..Unlike windows or OSX when you want to find a app you would have to go to google and search for it and it will likely be shareware..But with Synaptic Package manager you can have [SIZE=-1]'ten thousands of apps to pick from in one easy place.. You can also have Automatix and [/SIZE]EasyUbuntu
    both are easy to use script that help you install most commonly requested apps, codecs, and tweaks that are not found in the base distribution - all with a few clicks of your mouse. If you want to know more take a look here for more info about it...

3. Hardware Recognition: I would have to say that Ubuntu is by far the best Linux variant available today for hardware recognition.. I and many others have installed Ubuntu on tons of PC and they support or can easily be installed...

4. Integrated Software Update Tool: This tool compares to Windows Update and runs in the background. Not only does it update system stuff but installed applications as well (as long as they are in the repositories). Everything from the kernel to the browser, this tool is a must have to keep your machine up to date.

5.Partner Projects: UbuntuEdubuntuGobuntuKubuntuXubuntu: Ubuntu Christian Edition • Copland • Elbuntu • FluxbuntugNewSenseGnoppixGuadalinexIchthuxImpiLinuxLinux MintLinuxTLELiteMEPISMolinuxMythbuntuNexenta OSnUbuntuStudioSymphony OS

All built on ubuntu if you dont like how ubuntu does things you might just like the other types of ubuntu...
  3. vanden9

vanden9 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    PCLinuxOS

This is also a Popular distro,it does some thing different than ubuntu and some thing the same..
    1. It's drop dead gorgeous, and very professional looking.
    2. The Beryl/Compiz 3D acceleration effects are terrific--much better than any other distro I've tried.
    3. The repository has over 5000 packages, and updates are incredibly prompt, smooth, and easy to do. Synaptic, the GUI package manager works easily and reliably with the repository's RPM packages. Dependency issues are usually well handled. All the development programs and libraries are up to date.
    4. The PCLinuxOS community is positive and helpful. Documentation is excellent. Support is excellent.
    It near the same pro as ubuntu so if you dident like ubuntu or it's Partner Projects or dont like Debian the PCLinuxOS is for you...

openSUSE

After spending sometime nothing to long maybe a few months in linux you may feel you want to evolve your linux skills..In my view it's the most polished and professional looking Linux distro for someone looking for a new disto.. Overall I think SuSE is decent for a person who is tech savy but still new to Linux.

But be worn it has the worst support from the community as it has no official forum...
    Still working on a list for OpenSUSE

"Sabayon"

THis is the new linux distro I just love Sabayon blew me away with I first load it....It is the best out of the box OS ever....
    Still working on a list for Sabayon

I not really done yet it still a little WIP..I pick this up later on and inprove the guide....If I sould add anything let me know and yes I will add screen shots to the above disrtos...I will also add other disto you may want to take a look at...
  4. Aristarchos

Aristarchos Banned

Backtrack is awesome for "security"
    It's like slax on steroids...I wasn't a fan of slax...

P.S. I <3 KDE 4
  5. SkaterGOD/DOOD23

SkaterGOD/DOOD23 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yeah, KDE, all the applications for it start with K.

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    You should also tell people that it takes time to actually get adjusted to and learn Linux :\

Installing via Synaptic or Add/Remove is easy.

Compiling a source and installing, not so easy.

Linux is not Better than Windows or Mac COMPLETELY. Just in some cases. Each OS is better at one thing than others.

You put a lot of Positive points, bit too much, give some credit to the other OS's?

7. Clownassasin

Clownassasin New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    so what do u guys think is the best one out there?
  8. vanden9

vanden9 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It depends on your skill level and your needs in a OS.

@Teslanaut. I be sure to add that you cant learn linux over night.

Also I did talk about ubuntu Package manager. and Compiling a source and installing is not all that hard in basic it's just copy and pasting in most cases from a web site into a terminal.
  9. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    cd

./configure

./make

./makeinstall

Terminal Commands like that you should put that people need to remember

10. MrCrawley

MrCrawley New Member

I really want to get Ubunto in my pc as the main OS, i only need the cd?