The true meaning of the $20 payment!

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.3 Discussions' started by waichip1991, Jan 17, 2008.

1. waichip1991

waichip1991 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    The true meaning of the $20 payment is telling people that do not buy the product from Apple when it first came out....Is it true?
  2. kyleshelton01

kyleshelton01 New Member

3. rrm74001

rrm74001 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    He is saying the because the earlier buyers are getting screwed out of $20, everyone should wait before they buy something from Apple. However, I do not think many people have enough self-discipline to wait, myself included

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. dadedesigns

dadedesigns New Member

It's true it has been becoming a trend for the early adopters , who helped the product become a success. Getting screwed at the end.

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. sibux

sibux Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I couldnt have said it better
  6. thesmidge

thesmidge New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I gotta say, I'm very happy I got mine early. Think about it, the people who buy it now aren't currently able to jailbreak. I really don't need 1.1.3, I have all the iPhone apps for free. I mean, yeah, the jiggling and moving is pretty sweet, but I would not update just for that. The new maps is pretty cool, but can only be used in wifi. The only place I would use it is at my house, where I wouldn't need it, or Starbucks, where I have to pay. The only reason I would be pissed would be if they dropped the price, added flash, or added more storage space.
  7. Virtualball

Virtualball Well-Known Member

Well, tell that to the owners of the Apple TV.

The true meaning is that A) Apple wants iPhone owners to feel reassured with their purchase and B) you should pay for apps. To be fair, it's their apps so they can make you pay anything they want.
  8. 4dthinker

4dthinker New Member

Fortunately it's not a trend yet, but it IS a dangerous precident. Even within Apple the iphone's update was free, the apple TV update was free. Apple apparently DID try this before by charging for a tiny update that fixed the 802.11n functionality that was already in their macbooks (or was it a powerbook?). I've got dozens of electronic devices that were designed to be updateable, and when those updates became available they have all been simple and free downloads. That includes DVD and HD DVD players, every PC I've ever owned, a Zune, a Samsung P2, an old Mustek A/V player, a cell phone and more. Buy a Touch today for the same or less than I paid for mine and you get the new apps and 1.1.3 with it for no extra money. Charging early adopters for it feels to me like it was Steve Jobs personal attack on Touch owners for jailbreaking them. Yet it was clearly those jailbroken Touches that proved there was a market on the Touch for the iPhone apps. It is also the jailbreakers who don't really need the upgrade or to pay $20 for the apps. Lastly, it's a $40 insult not a $20 one. Why? Because there are Touches already in the retail chain without 1.1.3 on them. Stores are discounting them by another $20 to offset what most purchasers would know would be another $20 charge for the upgrade, but as I understand it any newly purchased Touch will get the upgrade for free if it doesn't come with it. That just devalued any Touch without the $20 apps by $40.
  9. Kyn

Kyn New Member

amen to that
  10. x6blues

x6blues New Member

completely agree. apple isnt a charity, they're a profit company, of course this isnt fair but all of them are only there to make a few dollars here and their, anyway they dont care if they piss off a few customers they know they will be back, theyve already spent 300 to 400 dollars so its not like they're going to abandon apple, itunes comes in there and then the new products draws people back in. its really a bullsh*t cycle that never ends