The significant difference between .flac and .mp3?

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by dodgy, Jun 8, 2009.

1. dodgy

dodgy Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    I downloaded an album in mp3 and then in flac.

I can tell there is a difference but there isn't a significant enough difference to make me want to download an album that's 100MB (mp3) as opposed to an album that's 430MB (flac).

I have a pretty good sound system, however, does it make a bigger difference if the speakers were better quality?

Thanks

-iPhone8GB

------------------double post merged------------------
    Bump.

Anyone?
  2. Sarcasm Siempre

Sarcasm Siempre New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    FLAC is mainly for audiophiles with crazy-ass sound systems. There really isn't an appreciable difference between FLAC and MP3 for normal, everyday listening, as long as you download the MP3s in good quality.
  3. Cyanidepoison

Cyanidepoison Active Member

In a properly amped set of nice headphones, the difference between FLAC and an average MP3 (i.e 192-256kbps) is night and day.

If you don't feel the difference is justified, don't use FLAC.

And besides, you have Beats. It won't matter either way.

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. mohaas05

mohaas05 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    FLAC is lossless. That means it is the same quality as the original recording.

MP3 is lossy. That means it has been compressed, and has thus lost some quality.

I would suggest keeping the FLAC for your sound system, and using the MP3 on your portable device. You may not notice it, but the MP3 may have lost some of the bass or less noticeable sounds that would shine more on a good sound system.
  5. dodgy

dodgy Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Well, my MP3 files are all mostly 320Kbps. And I really can't tell the difference, lol. And well, the FLAC files take up way too much space. It's ok if it's a few albums, but my music collection is way to big to have them all in FLAC format. And, well, I can't be bothered to download them all in FLAC

Please Register or Log in to view images