The Reputation System

Discussion in 'Site feedback, suggestions, and discussions' started by Danls92, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Seeing as how this addition is fairly new, and I'm not sure that everybody knows how to use it, I figured that I'd give a bit of an overview of the new Reputation system put in place here.

What It Is
    The reputation system allows you to give a user positive or negative feedback on their posts. Their amount of reputation is only shown to them (although if they get enough, the small silver bar will grow longer), and to anybody else it just gives a brief description "Username is on a distinguished path" or something like that depending on how much positive and negative feedback they've recieved.

How To Use It
    It is very simple to use the reputation system. If you are reading a thread and see a post that you think is very helpful or unhelpful look for a small scale icon under their avatar.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Click it, and a windows like this should come up (except it will have the name of the user who's scale icon you pressed):

Then you can just choose negative or positive and leave a comment if you want. If you choose not to add a comment it will just show as N/A.

How to Check Your Own
    To check the number of rep points you have, and comments people have left you, click the scale icon under your own name. If nobody has added rep to that specific post, a message window will pop up telling you your overall reputation point total. Everybody starts off with 10, and each positive rep counts as +1 whereas each negative rep counts as -1.

If somebody has repped that post, you will get a window like this:

If it was positive feedback, it will have a small silver badge next to it, whereas if it is negative, it will have a red badge.
    --------------------

To see what posts you've received reputation on, click on the "Quick Links" menu in the top left corner of the page, then choose User Control Panel (the black text on a white background). You should see a page like this, with the posts you've received rep on and any comments (erased in the picture):

General Info
    Once you give rep to somebody, you need to give it to 20 other people before you can give it to that same person again.

When you give somebody positive or negative rep, it is completely anonymous (for now at least), so you don't need to worry about somebody getting mad at you for negative rep. However, you should still use the system responsibly, and not rep down just because you don't like somebody.

You should only really give somebody negative rep if they are either disturbing the thread, insulting/ flaming, or purposefully giving false information. Everybody makes mistakes, so you shouldn't penalize somebody if they say the wrong thing by accident.

Remember guys, bgizzle added this because we asked him for it. If people start to abuse it, it will get taken away pretty fast. Please try to be responsible with this, if everybody uses it well, it could turn into something pretty cool!

Why have I received 15 reps, but still only have 10 points?
    Members need a certain number of posts before their rep counts. This is a safeguard to prevent people from creating 20 different accounts to rep themselves with. I can't tell you the exact threshold because:
    1) I don't know it
    2) If I did know it, I still wouldn't share it because then people would only get that minimum number of posts
    Don't worry, as soon as the person who repped you crosses the number of posts, you will receive credit for their rep.

Hope this helps, let me know if I left anything out.
    14 people like this.
  2. Parrappa

Parrappa New Member

Nice guide, should be useful to those just learning of this kind of system.

1 person likes this.
  3. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

Genius.
    MODS: Sticky?
    3 people like this.
  4. Blake

Blake Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    a113524c should be sticking this now.
    And nice guide dan ;]
    2 people like this.
  5. skyline_-

skyline_- New Member

I disaprove this post.

Thank you.
    1 person likes this.
  6. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Thanks guys, glad to help.
    2 people like this.
  7. Blake

Blake Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    /offtopic
    And I dis-approve of you

Have a nice day.
    1 person likes this.
  8. jltdhome

jltdhome Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Im an idiot. I just searched for the whole distinguished road thingie to try and find out what the whole little square meant. Then I stumble across this thread. This is what happens when I have to read a lot and get distracted with other things.
    1 person likes this.
  9. michigan033

michigan033 Banned

this is a great tutorial. I was wondering what it meant also
  10. skyline_-

skyline_- New Member

Hi azz. Please don't double post.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.