The problem of the speaker and skins/cases

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by shampoosuicide, Sep 16, 2008.

1. shampoosuicide

shampoosuicide New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Has it occurred to anyone that due to the position of the speaker on the Touch, which according to iLounge "is using the metal back surface of the iPod touch as a speaker, sort of like an NXT flat panel audio system", applying a full body skin (eg. Invisible Shield, BodyGuardz) or enclosing your iPod in a case might seriously impair the sound?

Or am I wrong to think this?

To clarify:
    "We initially guessed that the speaker breathed through the bottom Dock Connector and/or headphone ports, but when they’re blocked, audio still can be heard: as it turns out, Apple is using the metal back surface of the iPod touch as a speaker, sort of like an NXT flat panel audio system."
  2. eqtitan

eqtitan New Member

The sound actually comes from inside the USB/Apple socket on the bottom the speakers is on the back but facing into the open socket.
  3. berky93

berky93 New Member

the back of the ipod doesnt act as a speaker. theres a small speaker inside the caing, facing the dock port.
  4. eqtitan

eqtitan New Member

5. shortperson1026

shortperson1026 Active Member

even if the speakers used the back of the ipod putting a skin on it wouldn't do anything as soundwaves travel faster through solid objects.
  6. 1adam1

1adam1 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    true in some cases, but it also acts as a damper.
  7. shortperson1026

shortperson1026 Active Member

probably depends on the material.... like silicone would dim it
  8. ZAGGPM

ZAGGPM New Member

Sound difference with a skin/case...

Hello all,

I am a ZAGG representative and have a definitive conclusion on this.

I have personally tested the iPod touch's speaker at full volume with no protection whatsoever, with the invisibleSHIELD and with a silicone case. Because of the way that Apple has positioned the speaker on the touch, the sound resonates through the entire body of the device itself.

With the silicone case on it, I could feel the speaker vibrating the housing on the touch, but the sound wasn't affected.

The invisibleSHIELD makes no difference at all because it actually adheres to the housing. I kept the music going as I removed the shield and it made no difference. I even had another person in the room with me, just to make sure that I wasn't biased in my opinion.

So in conclusion, it makes no difference what kind of protection you put on your device because the sound is the same. If you have any questions about this, feel free to ask.