The Power of VoiP! (?)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lukechanning, Aug 23, 2009.

1. lukechanning

lukechanning New Member

Aug 7, 2009
    So with the recent development of Gizmo Voice, and it's (awesome) ability to make free calls over the internet with very little hassle, I've been happily using my iPod as a phone. However, wifi at my university is sometimes spotty, and out of curiosity, I wondered if it would be possible to buy a cheap iPhone off eBay, shove a SIM card with nothing but a prepaid data plan on it, and then jam away with Google Voice on the iPhone? Actually, let me put it this way: I know that's possible, so what I'm really asking is does anyone know the cheapest and best way to go about this? Which carrier has the best data plan, where to buy cheap SIM cards, perhaps fixing a broken iPhone to save money, w/e—I'm asking more out of curiosity than anything, so feel free to get creative. Just remember that the ultimate goal is a cheap iPhone with a low-cost data plan that can be used in conjunction with Gizmo Voice to make free calls/sms. I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd be interested in this set-up, so hopefully this could become some kind of guide, should this set-up be as easy i think it might be. Thanks so much, and I hope this is fun for someone. Cheers!

Please Register or Log in to view images