The Palm Pre: I'm skeptical

Discussion in 'HP TouchPad & WebOS Hacks' started by pss, May 3, 2009.

1. pss

pss New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    There's a lot of buzz surrounding Palm and Sprint's latest and greatest phone, the Palm Pre. I had a look at all the specs hardware and software wise. The hardware looks very impressive, on-par with the iPhone/ipod touch, but the "webOS" operating system leaves me very skeptical and unimpressed.

For one, applications are written in one of the most unorthodox manners possible. They use HTML and CSS for appearance, and JavaScript for the function. No app can be written in C++ or anything "real"; in effect, the entire operating system is just a dolled-up web browser and the applications are just local webpages.

Now Apple tried this already; it did not work. When I select a mobile device, I choose one that works like a mobile workstation; one that can get semi-serious work done or at least started on the road. I also like expandibility as well; ample computing power and a well-designed application framework are essential for "room to breathe", to keep getting more function out of your device as easily as purchasing binaries off a dedicated software store.

The following is a list of things you can't do with JavaScript:
    - 3D Games (Flash is not a gaming platform)
    - System Hooks (good luck with coming up with nifty hacks like SBSettings)
    - Concealing your code from shady competitors and the end-user
    - Customized visual effects
    - Custom video and audio players (to play formats not built-in to the phone ala vlc4iphone)

I can go on and on and on. Whatever Palm lets you do...is basically it. No coming up with your own nifty tricks and enhancements.

Apple succeeded in making a phone much like a "handheld workstation", but it seems to me Palm succeeded in making a "handheld WebTV". To me, it just looks like a feature phone with goodies. C'mon, even my cheapo Verizon BREW phone can run binaries (albeit expensive, few, and sh*tty). I think we're just going to have to see what the hackers manage to do with this, ala iPhone 1.1.x.
  2. Muffin15

Muffin15 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I'm dissappointed that i haven't seen anything that says it really innovates something
  3. KevN

KevN Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    I thought about getting a new phone, but then I realized as well the iPhone was teh best for meh.
  4. maclac

maclac New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    yep all things that anti-competitive Apple heads deemed not worthwhile implementing in the first instance (or any instance). We'll just have to wait and see what goodies come with the pre on launch - my money is in it being at least as big as the iphone whereas had the above mentioned tweaks been their from the start on the iphone then no one could touch it. Ever.