The Opera Mini Review (developer-side)

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by gdscei, Apr 14, 2010.

1. gdscei

gdscei New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I've seen Jelly's review, which I must agree to user-side.
    But what about developer-side?

RATING OPERA MINI DEVELOPER-SIDE VIEW: 3/5

GOOD POINTS:
    -Full screen really works out well, w/o a WebApp.
    -Average website support
    -Fast compression (so you don't have to build that in

Please Register or Log in to view images

)

BAD POINTS:
    -No/little support for CSS3 (like IE8)
    -Opera Mini does not work with UserAgent (JavaScript), it does not recognise it as standard iPhone/i or iPod/i. Instead, it only shows Opera Mini. (tried with document.write (navigator.userAgent))(tried w/ both Mobile version turned on/off.)

So I think this is quite some OK information for those devs around here. If you want to develop iPhone websites especially for Opera Mini, don't use CSS3, and don't use the obvious UserAgents

Here to compare Safari with Opera Mini and IE8 in CSS3 support: (first Safari then Opera Mini then IE8)

2. intemister

intemister New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Good work.
  3. narwal13

narwal13 Active Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Can you please explain what CSS3 is?

Also, the Dev(s) will most likely add ECMA Script (Javascript) support in an update, if the demand is high enough.
  4. gdscei

gdscei New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    CSS3 is CSS version 3. If you don't know what CSS is, then you are not a dev i assume

CSS3 new key features are -webkit- support. This enables tasks, that needed to be done before with JavaScript, like transforming, rotating and gradients can now be done with CSS, and so run hardware-accelerated. (so faster and not/less buggy.)

Thanks.

5. narwal13

narwal13 Active Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Yeah...Im not a dev.

But yeah. I assume that if demand is high enough and reasonable enough, the Devs will definitely include it.

Although, Opera was made to be used faster over a non-WiFi network. So 3G web-surfing could be faster and easier. Maybe they didn't want to include it because of loading time?
  6. gdscei

gdscei New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Maybe indeed because of faster loading time. Still i think they should've included it.
  7. geekgrrl

geekgrrl Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Here is my view:

I don't know, but Opera has left a lot of people and their websites out of the full version Opera 10.

I went to the forum, when my website would not display. I helped develop HTML transitional because universality of use of the internet, including older machines and older OS and accessability is important to me.

I even supported a DOS browser, as long as I could. The owner dropped out, made it GNU but delelopment essentially came to a standstill. I had BeOS willing to port it for their distribution on a CD in Europe, 15 million copies, but the owner of the browser wasn't interested. BeOS needed permission.

That pretty much killed my interest.

I have mentioned that incident, because there is a difference in attitude over at Opera the forum demonstrated: re-make your website to our "standard".

Well, it was W3C me and my Arachne DOS browser pals online that insured my website would have "universal" accessability.

I helped a little bit, initially, with the webkit, here, but I am not going to write my website for mobile, or xml, at least, I don't think so.

I wrote my website for "low resources" computers and people around the world on paid metered internet, and, for "print handicapped" to use screenreaders.

I say, I like the tap-zoom in Opera Mini. I adjusted the font size to "medium" in Settings and the forum looks great! I like the responsiveness, and speed. I like the front page and keeping "tabs" of my most used forums or websites.

There is a lot to like.

But the attitude, over at Opera, is "elitist" we know what is good for you: do it our way, or screw you.

I wasn't refused at Opera forum: they are pushing an internet "standard" regardless of the cost for the end-user. I refuse to "get on board" with that.

Maybe someone can get thru the "elitist" hard shell ego over at Opera? I doubt it.

I am convinced For The "New" Opera "Elite" there is only one way: their way or the highway.

I say: Prove it isn't so.
  8. gdscei

gdscei New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Indeed. Opera thnks their own way of doing stuff. Maybe if devs would ignore Opera, they woud eventually switch to the universal standard, not theirs. Don't say we should, but maybe it would help giving them a 2nd thought on this.