The offsite link page... <rant>

Discussion in 'Site feedback, suggestions, and discussions' started by Shade, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Shade

Shade New Member

Ok, you know how when you click on a link on this site, how you go to the page that says it is accepted or pending, or denied. If it is denied, it says "You cannot proceed" which really annoys me. Can it at least say "Proceed at your own caution" because I really dislike having to copy and paste it. It is kinda censorship... This is a community of learning, not dictatorship. What I don't understand is the offsite linking rules.
    I entirely agree with rule number one, but number 2-4 make no sense. Number two makes a tad bit of sense, since that is who bgizzle is up against... but I don't think that linking to a forum, that could help someone, should be against the almost totalitarian rules. This forum is run on INFORMATION. Where do people get information? Other sites. Only a small amount of information on this site is first hand info.
    Number 3. Blogs provide information. Who else in this small knit community of iPod Touch "modders" will look hard for the first hand information? Bloggers. They are the journalists of the web. Even some members of the iPhone Dev Team have blogs. They are not big blogs. So they shouldn't be allowed?
    Number 4. uh... what is this site based on again? Information. What type of sites should be getting linked to? Something involving iPod Touches? Maaayybe?
    I'm ok with number 5

Please Register or Log in to view images

But anywho... </rant>
    So does anyone agree with me?
  2. latinoheat69

latinoheat69 New Member

well a pc isn't gonna come installed with itunes..get it yourself

same thing...just use google for your needs
  3. Shade

Shade New Member

Yet a Mac does come with iTunes... I thought this site would be better than that.
    NO RANT ABOUT WHICH IS BETTER OK?
    If we follow your logic about google... why do we even need this site?
    EDIT: See even in your siggy, you have a site that is against the rules... while it has no information yet (even if it ever will [I just briefly looked at it and didn't see anything

]) don't you think you should have the right to post it when and if someone needs help?
  4. saltedpotatos

saltedpotatos New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    nice analogy there latino lol.

anyway i suggest you read here and here before continuing onward since this has kind of been talked to death before...

what you want to do i believe falls under this category
    also since something is going on with the front page news thing since you cant access it, maybe it means he finally has some time
  5. Shade

Shade New Member

Eh I searched... didn't find it

, also it started more about the actual offsite page..
  6. saltedpotatos

saltedpotatos New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    what do you mean? the offsite linking redirect or the offsite linking policies? or is it something totally different and i just wasted some posts lol
  7. Shade

Shade New Member

It was kinda a mix of both, mostly my laziness at having to copy and paste the link in...
  8. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You're wrong on one thing here. For all practical purposes, it is a dictatorship. Bgizzle made this site, and is kind enough to let you go on here. People for some reason have this idea that they should have an equal say in everything that goes on in the website, but this is Bgizzle's site and he can do what he wants.

Websites are not expressly denied, they are more commonly in a pending state. All this means is that you need to move the mouse an inch, and click. If that is too much to handle, there are more problems then just the pending page.

The reasons that personal pages and the like are not allowed are simple:
    1) So that people do not use this website to advertise their own blogs/ websites/ whatever
    2) To attempt to keep people from using fradulent sources of information as sources to cause confusion ("This blog says that the iPhone will have 1000gb of memory")

The only websites that are really denied are spam sites, and personal websites that people repeatedly try to promote. Now if you think about it, even if it wasn't for that denied page the links would still be removed so there isn't much to complain about.

While it is not something that you have to deal with, the denied page cuts down tremendously on spam, since Bgizzle can block an entire domain rather than us needing to deal with it on a case by case basis.

If you have a problem with the linking system, it's simple. Don't link and don't click links.
  9. saltedpotatos

saltedpotatos New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    lol i have never been to a denied page since normally it only says link removed or some such so i guess i cant really say anything lol

and Dansl swoops out of nowhere to correct malformed posts lol
  10. latinoheat69

latinoheat69 New Member

i have that on my sig to help the kid who was making the site..if it's against the rules i'll take it off
    edit: took it off