The NES emulator FAQ- new people read here

Discussion in 'iOS Emulators' started by Nordini, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Nordini

Nordini Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I've decided now that the NES emulator has it's own sub forum that i will make a list of many of the frequently asked questions about the NES emulator for the iPod Touch.

If you are looking for NES ROMs, PM me.

1. Q: What does NES stand for?
    A: NES stands for Nintendo Entertainment System. this is a very old gaming console it was nintendos original platform. It's also referred to as "the old nintendo".

2. Q: What is the NES emulator, or for that matter what is an emulator?
    A: An emulator is a rather neat invention that allows us to play games on a particular gaming console without actually having to buy the games or the system itself. This emulator for the iPod Touch is an application that you put on your iTouch which actually turns the screen into an NES. you can download NES ROMs to play your favorite games on your iTouch

3. Q:How do i get the NES emulator on my iPod?
    A: First you must make sure your iTouch is jailbroken(if you have questions on that see the jailbreaking sub forum) then you will find it on installer under the games folder. its titled NES. simply download it from there and you will get a green mushroom icon for it.

4. Q:What are ROMs and how do i get them?
    A: ROMs are the emulators "rip-offs" of the actual games for the system. They are the full games not just demos that people have put onto the computer for you. You can download ROMs from the internet and put them onto your iTouch to play on your NES. If you are looking for NES ROMs, PM me and i will give you links to several good ROMs sites and a source that will get you 75 ROMs instantly.

5. Q: OK i downloaded the NES ROMs but how do i get them actually onto my iTouch?
    A: Without going into to much detail you must have a program like WinSCP on your computer so you can SSH them to your iTouch. login to WinSCP and go to the Media folder then the ROMs folder then the NES folder. copy your ROMs files into there. if you have further questions on how to do this PM me and ill be glad to help you.

6. Q: How do i make the screen bigger? and the buttons are so small.
    A: Well try turning it horizantally to flip the game to landscape mode. I personally dont prefer to play this way but this is about as big as you will get it. after all its just an emulator.

7. Q:Why are my games skipping around? They seem to be slow or glitchy.
    A: As with all emulators, the NES emu has a lag. Its just a little slow because thats just how the performance is on this. It will probably improve over time as the author makes furthur versions of the emulator, but this emulator is updated nearly as much as the gpSPhone. you will just have to deal with it. the games are still enjoyable.

8. Q:What are the best games for this?
    A: This is a matter of opinion. Try playing Kirby's adventure, this is a very fun game that runs very well on the NES emulator. you may also want to try the Megaman games, the Super mario games (though the buttons are pretty sensitive for these), and Duck Hunt. Pipe Dream and Castlevania 2 are also fun for me.

9. Q:How do i save my game?
    A: When playing a game simply press the home button on the iTouch. you will exit the emulator and a box will pop up asking if you would like to save your game. Simply touch "yes" and the next time you want to play your save file it can be found under the saved games tab at the bottom of the emulator's menu.

10. Q:Whats Frame Skip? And Auto-save?
    A: These features are found under teh settings tab on the emulator's menu at the top. If you enable Auto-save then your game will save as soon as you press the homebutton without any pop-up box asking. I like to keep this on. Frame skip is the number of frames the game skips per second. Depending on what you have it set as you could make the game run faster or slower but at the risk of having choppy graphics. Its best to keep it on Frame Skip A because that will automatically find the best frame skip for you.

11. Q:There are some things about this emulator that are really bugging me.
    A: Take it up with the author of the emulator not me. I didnt invent the NES emulator so i cant make any changes, but complaining about it here wont change anything.

If you have any questions post here or PM me. Also if you can think of any other questions i should add post them here.
  2. rokrboy

rokrboy Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPod touch
    Stickied .
  3. oasisbackbeat

oasisbackbeat New Member

whats the equivalent of WinSCP for a mac?

I already jailbreak it...but i dont seem to find a program to get into more detail...any help??? thanks!
  4. Nordini

Nordini Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    im really not sure what your talking about. you mean your looking for the NES emulator?

its found under the games section on the installer application. you should have the installer application if youve jailbroken your itouch.
  5. Rdude

Rdude Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    i cant find the nes folder.....does anyone know how i can find it?

Edit- I figured it out.....
  6. SiXAXiS

SiXAXiS Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    where can u get WinSCP?

can u PM me a download link to WinSCP? or do you have to buy it at retail?
  7. rokrboy

rokrboy Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPod touch
    No winSCP is a free program. Just google it, you should find it.
  8. cheyo

cheyo New Member

hello.

i've installed NES Emulator and restarted my ipod touch twice. But if I connect to my ipod trough TotalCommander, there isnt a folder called ROMs. (var/root/Media/..)
  9. whistle47

whistle47 New Member

Right click --> New --> Directory

you have to make it; make sure the capitalization is correct
  10. JeffinBC

JeffinBC New Member