The long journey, a iphod Touch without a computer

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Tempus, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Tempus

Tempus New Member

I am going for a backpacking trip to Australia for 7 months, I am not bringing my computer, but clearly my Touch. Sooo, i have ca one month til I am leaving, and in that time i figured i should prepare it as good as i can for the long time away from a computer. Not only getting in as much of the music i am going to want to listen to and so on, but jailbreaking it and getting all the right apps and stuff innto it. The reason this is not on the jailbreak forum is because I also want tips on protection stuff ect. Anything you might find usefull when you are traveling with your ipod.

( more detailed story under here, skip to the specc list if you don't care)
    now, my ipod is still jailbroken in 1.1.1. As I have not upgreaded it since then. this was right after i got it, in january. Been very happy, and figured i should jailbreak it in 2.0.2 to get to the newest software now.

I figured i should bring a memory stick to have cute ftp on to install on various computers when I am traveling, so I can atleast enter the files even tho its not through Itunes, unless I can install itunes on a protable harddisk and make it work so that wherever i bring that harddisk, the library will recogince my ipod as "its own" or something like that, any comments on that?

List of things i will need:

- A new protective shell, anyone happy with any of them? I got a hard plastic one, but I dont like the fact that it doubles the thickness of the ipod. What i would like is a nice protective slip on bag or something, like the ipod videos had.

Jailbreaked apps:
    Ebooks, i need some bigger scources tho, so i can get MOAR books.
    Isolarite
    installer ( ofc)
    Pwn player ( this might solve the new music -> ipod problem)

I will update this list as good suggestion comes in

Please Register or Log in to view images

Hope there is some!
  2. VoLTaG3

VoLTaG3 New Member

You should get a laptop my friend, there pretty cheap now well the low performance ones. When I go to Europe this Christmas holiday I'm bringing my laptop and my iTouch.
  3. Tempus

Tempus New Member

thing is, I am backpacking, Traveling light, don't really have room to bring a laptop on the side. Especially since I have hemophilia and need to bring tonns of medicines, so really only have room for the touch.
  4. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

You should jailbreak it to 2.1, it is far more stable and less likely to get stuck and die some time through your trip.
    I also recommend getting PocketTouch, a music controller.
  5. SkaterGOD/DOOD23

SkaterGOD/DOOD23 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Jailbreak 2.1.

Learn how to use Terminal/Command Line to SSH, will be more universal, no need for "CuteFTP on a stick".

Save battery, disable SSH and wireless when you can, use PocketTouch as mah friend dpoony pointed out.

Don't bother with a laptop -__-.

I recommend MxTube also, you could get very bored, so download some youtube videos to watch on the way! Also, get some videos into your MobileVideo player.

If you want more videos/songs, get dTunes also.

That's about all I can think of O:.

Back to homework D:<.

Ebooks?

In 2.1 there will be AppStore, find Stanza. It is absolutely AMAZING and has a very nice, stunning, clean interface.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Installer? :| Use Cydia.
  6. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Why would you want to bring your laptop on a vacation?
  7. VoLTaG3

VoLTaG3 New Member

That is the purpose of a laptop, right? There able to be carried around in your arms unlike a desktop so why not take my laptop with me. Also I need a charging source for my iTouch and my laptop is it.