The Less Noticed Features of OS 3.0

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 3.0' started by Dmac_rocker, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Dmac_rocker

Dmac_rocker Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Things that I noticed inside the new OS :

When you play music without headphones, there is no volume bar and when you double tap home button and there are no headphones, it says "dock connector".

When you tap an icon to launch an app, they start immediately. They seem to load the content of the app first and then start up so you can use it after it's already been loaded. Either way, it starts much faster. (noticed only in stock iPod apps eg: calculator, etc.

The stocks app has multiple pages for news about the specific stock and more detailed info about it. Also, when you turn to landscape, the chart gets much bigger.

The stopwatch has an extra timer. The larger one is for the total time and the smaller one is for lap time.

The calendar shows today's date with a darker highlighted square rather than a dot.

Edit: Some very cool and useful ones I noticed

When advancing through the song, you are now able to choose your scrubbing speed from hi-speed to moderate to half to quarter to fine.

Also, double tapping home on ther lock screen will now tell you the artist and album of the song playing instead of just the song.

Other more noticed features : The new search page on the left of the first home page.

You are now able to login to youtube.

You can copy and paste text in between of apps.

Notes and email is landscape.

You can sync your notes back to your computer.

Unfortunately, weather has stayed the same and just does not give enough information to me for my liking.

Hope this thread helped or showed people things they didn't notice or know and I'm sorry if theres a thread the exact same as mine (I know there are other threads for features)
  2. Tourniquet.

Tourniquet. Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    i got an volume bar when i play music without the headphones on my 2G

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. Dmac_rocker

Dmac_rocker Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Weird, because when I'm in the music app with headphones there's a volume bar, but when I take them out, it pauses and the volume bar fades away. The fading is a hint that says that it was meant to happen.
  4. Tourniquet.

Tourniquet. Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    hmm will try that let me see

------------------double post merged------------------
    well, i tried it but when i take out my headphones it just pauses and the volume bar is still there

5. Chucky102

Chucky102 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I believe the volume bar thing is just for iPod 1st Gen. I have it also.
  6. Tourniquet.

Tourniquet. Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    well that would make alot of sense, but how stupid they did that to the 1G, because you dont got any volume buttons on the outside

7. Dmac_rocker

Dmac_rocker Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hey I think you may have gotten the nature of the post wrong. Read it more carefully and try posting again. I was in no way trashing 3.0, when in fact I was praising it. I think an apology is in order.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Yeah, it very well could be.

Hmm yeah you're right. Now that I think about it, it doesn't really make much sense. Now you can't change the volume with the headphones out...
    It's not very practical, but it looks kinda cool I suppose.
  8. DarkKnIgHt007

DarkKnIgHt007 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    for me the volume bar is there headphones or not. Though when i plug it in to a dock with speakers the volume bar disappears. ( i dont need it then anyway because the volume is not controlled by the ipod when it is plugged in.
  9. Tourniquet.

Tourniquet. Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    hmm dont know about that, dont got speakers here yet! waiting for my bose speaker

will try if i got them

looks cool, but very unhandy

10. jnskyliner34

jnskyliner34 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    just found out about this a few minutes ago and freaked out a bit. i searched if this was an error of some sort, good thing i saw this thread and glad to know it's a feature in the 3.0 firmware.