The January $20 apps and 1.1.4

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.4 Discussions' started by JakeGym, Jun 14, 2008.

1. JakeGym

JakeGym New Member

I'm not a techie, just want to know how to get the mail app on my Ipod touch. The Ipod was purchased before they added the mail option. The firmware has been upgraded to 1.1.4 and I don't plan to do any jailbreaking. But it seems once you upgrade to 1.1.4, the option to get the $20 January 2008 upgrade disappears. Also, I can't wait until July for any further firmware changes, because I need the mail app for a vacation in a week. Can anyone tell me how to do this? Thanks.
  2. crazyvanya

crazyvanya Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    You can find the 20$ upgrade in iTunes on the right hand side
    Or you can jailbreak, and add a repo which has the Software Update
  3. JakeGym

JakeGym New Member

I keep reading that, but I swear it's not there for me.
  4. crazyvanya

crazyvanya Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Have you tried doing a search?
  5. JakeGym

JakeGym New Member

Yeah, everywhere I can think of.

There's something about the 1.1.4 firmware that removes the option for the January upgrade, apparently. The only other thing I can think of to do would be to restore to factory settings, which I assume would mean I had something prior to 1.1.4 and might then see the download option in Itunes.
  6. crazyvanya

crazyvanya Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    I don't think that would work. I've restored many times, and the popup doesn't popup.
  7. arjayquizon

arjayquizon New Member

Apparently Apple removed that option now for those who didn't buy it yet. I think it would be something like: "Too bad you didn't buy it, now you'll never have it legally" or "It'll come with the next firmware, so you just saved yourself $20". I didn't buy it, and hopefully it would be the latter scenario. As people said, "Good things happen to those who wait."
  8. crazyvanya

crazyvanya Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    So Jake, if you need the Mail app, looks like you're gunna have to jailbreak. It's very simple.
    Search Google and download iLiberty+, then click on jailbreak my device. This site also has some How-to's hanging round the place
  9. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Since the legal way of installing the January App Pack is gone, you'll need to resort to jailbreaking your iPod touch in order to add the Mail application to your iPod touch. It's not illegal to jailbreak, yes, it does void your warranty. Yet, a simple restore and Apple can't even tell the difference if you jailbroke or not.

To jailbreak Firmware 1.1.4, I would recommend using the methods of ZiPhone or iLiberty+, which are both equally easy methods to follow. To learn how to jailbreak using ZiPhone or iLiberty+, go to my iPod touch Reference, and scroll down to the ZiPhone or iLiberty+ sections. It's step-by-step, and not hard to understand

Please Register or Log in to view images

If you were anxious, you could always restore right after you get back from vacation.
  10. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

Yep, there's no risk to jailbreaking your iPod touch.
    You can get it for free from various repositories that I will not mention due to legality.