The iPod Touch 2nd Generation (2G) and You

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Exosion, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Exosion

Exosion Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I'm writing this guide as a simple explanation for common questions people have on the new iPod Touch.
    ---
    What the hell is new about it?
    It features a built-in speaker which is the prized new feature. A somewhat additional feature to go along with the speakers are two volume buttons (up and down) on the exterior portion of the iPod; much like the iPhone. It also has a slimmer body and a more rounded back and edge, much like the iPhone 3G. It has microphone capabilities and a new processor which is why there is no jailbreak available (at the time of me writing this), but the dev team and many other teams are working hard to get one. The new touch also features built-in Nike+ capabilities as well as a Bluetooth chip inside. This bluetooth chip is likely the receiver for the Nike+, but that hasn't been 100% confirmed that it's all it does. This could be a feature coming in a newer firmware. The battery life has also been extended to an official time of 36 hours.

Speaker you say? How good is the quality?
    There are several Youtube videos floating around about the speakers quality, but as an iPod Touch 2G owner, I can say that the quality is a lot better than how it's portrayed in these videos. It's got a nice crisp sound to it, especially for having no external viewable speaker.

2G? Woah, this has a phone in it?
    Nope, 2G is 2nd Generation. Not to be confused with anything related to AT&T's iPhone 3G Network.

I WANT A JAILBREAK
    Sit down, take a few deep breaths, and wait. Many people are working long hard hours out of their day to try and get the jailbreak as fast as possible. It's coming soon. Be patient.

Where can I get a case?
    To my knowledge, several cases are out at the moment but many are under development. Common brands such as Belkin and Griffin have updated their websites with the products they will be making for the iPod Touch 2G, but all are not able to be ordered yet. Most say 'Coming Soon' with little to no detail about a release date.

The Nano got a Glass Screen, what did we get?
    We got the same brushed glass as the Nano. This actually allows for better multi-touch sensitivity and less finger printing. The glass is one more thing that gives the iPod something to brag about, especially on the environmental check-list.

I just bought a new iPod Touch 2G because this guide convinced me, but <INSERT IPOD PROBLEM HERE>!
    Stop. Complaining. Take it back to where you bought it and have them look at it. If it's far, then call up Apple Care and see what they have to say about it. Common issues are light leaks (light pouring through the shell of the iPod), internet related things, and applications crashing. The ironic thing is that the music part of the iPod is still fine, which is what iPods were meant to do.

Please Register or Log in to view images

The forum doesn't want to hear about your broken iPod, however Apple Care will listen.
    ----

I hope my sarcasm didn't offend anyone. Enjoy the FAQ!

2. Thao

Thao New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Good guide. Maybe add something about the new headphones that are soon to come?
  3. Exosion

Exosion Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    It's not about the headphones though. It does include the mic capabilities.
  4. SLLhotD

SLLhotD Member

really good guide
  5. Exosion

Exosion Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Thanks.
  6. SLLhotD

SLLhotD Member

welcome

7. brisingr

brisingr New Member

good guide, especially the jailbreak part. most of us are impatient.
  8. Chicagogirlie

Chicagogirlie New Member

Also it has brushed glass. Easier to flick and I find that the brushed glass doesn't attract as many fingerprints as the 1g did.
  9. cooldued59

cooldued59 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    For some reason, Aple still calls the new iPod Touch still the iPod Touch instead of iPod Touch (Second Gen) in their support site. In Wal-Mart, they call the 2G iPod Touch the iPod Touch V3.
  10. Chicagogirlie

Chicagogirlie New Member

Another thing not listed above is that it has SEVERAL more sounds available to alarms, timer, etc. Much better selection than the cheapo sounds of the 1g.