"The iPod "iPod" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1)." 2.2.1 to 2.2

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by damalujordan, Feb 7, 2009.

1. damalujordan

damalujordan New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I have an iPod Touch 2G with firmware 2.2.1. I want to downgrade to 2.2. I opened iTunes and turned off my iPod. I put it into DFU mode. I held the power and home buttons simultaneously for 10 seconds and then released the power button while still holding the home button. I get the message:

"iTunes has detected an iPod in recovery mode. You must restore this iPod before it can be used with iTunes."

I click OK.
    I click Shift+Restore and browse for the 2.2 .ipsw file.

It says:

"Extracting software."

After that, I get an error message saying:

"The iPod "iPod" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1)."

I have no clue what to do here. Can you please help me?
  2. thunderstruck7

thunderstruck7 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    i think you might have to restore to 2.0 and then update to 2.2 because apple doesn't want people updating to 2.2 if they haven't bought 2.0. so find a 2.0 firmware and then update to 2.2 i think.
  3. andybno1

andybno1 Banned

you cannot downgrade a 2g iPod to 2.0 firmware as that firmware is for 1g iPod only. best bet is to try and restore to the latest firmware first and then try again.

as for the apple doesn't want people updating to 2.2 if they haven't bought 2.0, this does not apply to 2g iPod's as you automatically get the 2.2.1 update as you got 2.1.1 on launch so charges need nto apply as you got the 2.0 update with 2.1.1
  4. t3heford

t3heford New Member

I had the same problem. Try restoring with the the 2.1.1 ipsw file