"The iPod "iPod" could not be restored. An unknown error occured (5). Error

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by iLLuSion, Aug 15, 2008.

1. iLLuSion

iLLuSion New Member

Well i don't know why this is happening, but when i try to restore my ipod touch to the 2.0 firmware, i get this error "The iPod "iPod" could not be restored. An unknown error occured (5). Now my ipod touch is stuck at the screen where it has the itunes logo and a cable.

I'm using the restore file called "iPod1,1_2.0_5A347_Restore". If anyone could help me fix this problem and help me restore my ipod touch to firmware 2.0, that would be great. Thanks.
  2. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

Just pop it in DFU mode and it should work.
  3. iLLuSion

iLLuSion New Member

That didn't work. The only thing it did was change the error to a 1 instead of the 5.
  4. GeneralDuctape

GeneralDuctape New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    You probably only got the error 5 because you didn't put your ipod/iphone into a fullfledged DFU mode. The way to fix this (what i did) is to restore your ipod with regular 2.0, and THEN put the ipod into DFU. If you don't know how to do this, then either search the forums or YouTube, I don't remember how to do it at the moment
  5. iLLuSion

iLLuSion New Member

Ehh, i am trying to restore my ipod touch with the regular 2.0. That is what's giving me the error. I tried restoring my ipod touch with 1.1.5 and there was no errors.
  6. joshman99

joshman99 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I had the same problem, but my itunes sometimes started the installation, but froze at the preparing ipod stage. I was on 1.1.5 and it wouldn't upgrade, however, I used a 2.0 custom IPSW that I got from a link on youtube and it worked, rather than a regular unmodified 2.0 one.

Hope this helps!
  7. ricardofelix95

ricardofelix95 Banned

Downgrade to iTunes 7.5 and the put it in DFU mode