"The iPod could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build"

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mikeeey1337, Jun 24, 2010.

1. mikeeey1337

mikeeey1337 New Member

I mistakingly just tried to run Spirit Jailbreak on my current blackra1n jailbroken iPod, so that put it in the recovery loop. If I try to run blackra1n it just sits at Geo's face.
    So I tried to restore my iPod to 3.1.3 so I could start over and use spirit, but I got the error message:
    "The iPod "iPod" could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build"

So I downloaded 3.1.2 and tried to restore that, but got the same message.
    I'm really not sure what to do, I just wanna restore the iPod and jailbreak it with Spirit.
  2. magic8ball88

magic8ball88 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Your only option is to restore to 4.0 unless you backed up your shsh assuming its an MC model.
  3. ThatGEEKFreak

ThatGEEKFreak Active Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    You have to have the SHSH blobs backed up and point an iTunes configuration file to Saurik's server. Only way, if you didn't let cydia back up your SHSH blobs you are screwed and stuck at 4.0 as Apple has stopped signing anything below it.
  4. mikeeey1337

mikeeey1337 New Member

5. peebrian202869

peebrian202869 Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    SHSH's my friend... unlucky... =/
  6. mikeeey1337

mikeeey1337 New Member

I'm not sure what cydia's SHSH is.. or how to restore from it, but I just managed to restore my iPod back to normal.. unjailbroken. Now I'm going to flash 3.1.3 and jailbreak with spirit..
  7. Cl8rs

Cl8rs Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    You will not be able to. Unless you backed up your SHSH blobs.
  8. mikeeey1337

mikeeey1337 New Member

It's working fine right now, I just flashed to 3.1.3 and then jailbroke with spirit.

But could someone explain to me what cydia's SHSH is and how to back up from it?
  9. jgrayson

jgrayson New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I'm not an expert, but this is how I understand it.

SHSH is like a little signature code on your ipod/iphone. When you click on "restore" in itunes, itunes tries to connect to it's master control (Tron joke), then validate your SHSH and 'restore' your ipod appropriatly.

The thing is, apple/iTunes no longer will restore to 3.1.3. If you try, they'll tell you to get 4.0. To get around this, you can 'fake' the connection to apple. You redirect itunes to looks somewhere else (editing the HOSTS file), specifically to cydia or your hard drive for the SHSH files. I have mine stored on cydia and my HDD.

Think of it like 2 spies meeting that don't know each other. The SHSH is the 'code word'. If you know the code word, you can trick itunes (the enemy spy) into doing what you want.

Upshot is, back up your SHSH.
  10. picklejw

picklejw Member

Device:
    iPad
    True the above sound correct, apple implemented this in the 3.x series, apple gives a secret code for your specific iPhone or iPod and then it will either accept it or reject it, cydias backup shsh server takes that secret code and steals it and saves it for later when you want to downgrade cydia will give you that old secret code and enable you to install the firmware.