"The iPod cannot be synced. The device timed out"

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Jasonnn.R, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Jasonnn.R

Jasonnn.R New Member

i've searched on the topic, there are a few that talk about syncing problems, but my problem is different

out of no were, my ipod won't sync any more!
    the past week it was working fine, and now it just stops syncing.
    i havn't installed anything new on it or changed it at all.
    i have 2.53 GB space left on it, although some times pop ups on my ipod warn me that the disk space on it is getting low (WTF 2.53 GB LEFT?!) and tells me to delete some stuff.
    today i put new music on itunes and want to sync it but now all it says is
    "iPod cannot be synced. The device timed out"

can any one help please?
  2. ras0408

ras0408 New Member

I'm still getting this problem, I replied in the other thread and it seems like it's some sort of USB problem. I downgraded to see if it would work but it didn't so when I get a chance I'm going to try a USB hub and see if I can't get it to sync.
  3. NSF12345

NSF12345 New Member

I used to use a USB 2.0 hub, and this error happened for me. Now i connect direct to USB 2.0 in the machine, and works fine. I think it has a prob wi timing out when connected through a USB Hub?? bit stupid really tbh
  4. tytytytouchtytyty

tytytytouchtytyty New Member

i had a similar problem but it was because i was using my brothers nano cable and i guess they are different because it worked as soon as i used my cable it worked great.
  5. JMC

JMC New Member

USB Hub + iPod Touch = time out!

Yep exactly. I have a POWERED hub and it stated during a sync - when it got to the Podcast - that """the device had timed out""".

I am syncing on a PC and a iMac - but the music and main computer that I have the Touch linked to is the iMac, and I need to sync my Touch with my contacts and calendar in Outlook via iTunes. At the same I discoved this error I moved one of the other devices position on the computer and I thought that I was syning OK through the hub, in fact I am sure I was, but it appears for some reason that the hub is having this effect.

Best advice - if you are syncing through a hub and reading this thinking that yours is working fine - DO NOT move any USB plug on the computer or hub. I have a hub running three things in addition to my computer which now has all three USB ports filled (one is the hub) and the other two are devices that I need to sync - the Palm and the Touch. Not sure if the hub crapped out or what.. but now all the things that require very little resources - are on the hub, and I am sure that the Touch WAS syncing fine on that hub until I moved one plug - but in my case, order to move one since they are all full I actually had to move two.. so.. this is all I got.

I attached the iPod to the computer and bingo - no problems as of yet today. Everthing synced fine. I have had this same issue with my Palm Pilot which also hates a hub, and yes I am using a 2.0 powered hub.

I can tell you one thing - if I can avoid it - I am not moving anything again on the PC or the hub.

Hope this helps.

Jared
  6. halo9029

halo9029 New Member

Same problem

I have the same problem with my iPod as well, i have attached it to a friend's computer and it worked fine on his, but when i tried connecting it to mine again that message appeared. I had my iPod filled and for some reason all the songs were erased. Have you found a solution to this problem yet? I'm pretty much dying without my iPod!
  7. solidspork

solidspork New Member

Doesn't Work Either Way

I have plugged my iTouch directly to the PCI USB2.0 card and the problem still remains. When I try to sync movies or TV shows it craps put and I get the timed out message. Maybe I need a new PCI card? Please if anyone can help it would be awsome. Thanx!
  8. neo4386

neo4386 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Fixed Mine

This may be an old thread, but I also had the same problem. What I found out was that I was using a USB Flash drive and its LED was blinking. I removed the flash drive and plugged back the ipod dock connector, which solved the problem. Now I can sync my iPod again... whew! :D
  9. bgizzle

bgizzle Administrator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    It sounds like maybe the other USB devices were drawing too much power and/or hogging the USB bus, so the computer couldn't contact the iPod because of that.
  10. wboes

wboes New Member

I may end up with 2 replies. One incomplete.
    Same problem with no sync after it had worked just fine. Tried it on another computer and it worked fine. Tried a powered usb hub on my computer and it didn't work. Here's how it finally worked: (I'm running Vista)
    Start > run > type in: msconfig
    choose diagnostic startup (I tried changing things with a regular startup and no luck)
    Click ok
    Reboot
    Start > control panel > administrative tools (classic view) > services
    Apple Mobile Device will be disabled. Click on it and Switch it to Automatic
    Do the same to iPod service
    Restart the computer with a regular start

My problem was solved and it's still working so far. Hope this helps