The iPhone/iPod touch is getting a stronger foothold in the Handheld gaming market

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Lah~Lah, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Lah~Lah

Lah~Lah New Member

Guys, have you noticed that the iPhone/ iPod touch is becoming a more and more solid competitor in the handheld gaming market?
    First of all, these devices have inituative and unique controls that develepors can experiment with (however, the controls can get in the way while playing really "hardcore games")
    Secondly, these devices are extreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeemely capable of handling good graphics (just look at Ferrari GT Evolution etc.)
    Last but not least (DEFNITELY NOT LEAST), these devices are really "new" compared with the Nintendo DS and PSP and are mostly considered portable media players so develepors haven't really considered the iPhone/iPod Touch when developing games. HOWEVER, there is a growing awareness among developers that the iPhone/ iPod Touch really is capable as a gaming device and many well known developers have already started to port games onto the devices. Here are some examples:

*Rolando: probably the best game on iPhone/ iPod touch yet. completely blows LocoRoco out of the water

*Super monkey ball

*Crash Bandicoot Nitrocart Racing

*I Love Katamari

*Brothers in arms: Hour of Heroes

*SimCity

*THERE IS AN EXTREMELY LONG LIST SO I CAN'T BE BOTHERED NAMING ALL OF THEM

Post your thoughts below
  2. SolarFlare

SolarFlare New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I see it becoming a viable gaming platform if the iControlpad is integrated into a wide selection of games (mainly hardcore ones).
  3. -tcq42-

-tcq42- Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It is getting stronger and it has superior hardware. But in the end, it has no buttons. It will never be considered a handheld console like the DS and PSP are. But it's probably the best gaming phone you can get.
  4. Lah~Lah

Lah~Lah New Member

That is so true...T_T, but still you have to admit that developers are really looking at it now. BTW, there are lots of games out there that can be ported to the iPhone/ iPod touch. Look at Cooking Mama, no controls needed really...If it was ported to the iPhone/ iPod touch, it would probably be massive
  5. mmitt

mmitt New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    What are you talking about? Have you ever seen a PSP or DS? Unless you mean from an arcade game standpoint, i see no major gaming devolopers looking at the iPod/iPhone for games...
  6. SolarFlare

SolarFlare New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I have had all three devices. I rank them:
    1. PSP
    2. iPod Touch
    3. NDS
    If more hardcore games would come out on the iPod, and if the iControlpad sees the light of day, the PSP could see some major competition.
  7. Lah~Lah

Lah~Lah New Member

Uhm, ok another example, i'm sure you have heard of Konami's Metal Gear Solid? Well, there's soon gonna be a new port to the iPhone/ iPod Touch called Metal Gear Solid Touch. But then again, i dunno what the controls will be like. Still, I can't wait xD
  8. SolarFlare

SolarFlare New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Well, Metal Gear Touch is really just Duck Hunt.
  9. HLR Element

HLR Element Banned

yea, it takes away from some people on the DS and PSP... if anything i think it's the older people, highschool and up if you ask me. No one plays with the DS or PSP anymore but we all have a iphone or touch. It's a different market i think. And i think it's more fun to pay for a app $5 and play for a while then to pay .... well idk how much PSP and DS games are now lol, only xbox... but i like how i can give so little money yet find a game i love. but, no buttons limits it too much, touchscreen games are fun yet when you want a real game, you can't beat having buttons lol... now if they decided to put buttons...
  10. Lah~Lah

Lah~Lah New Member

They probably won't put buttons in a new iPhone/ iPod Touch because these devices are solely (in the iPod's case) made for Media playback or phonecalls i guess -_-. However, if Apple decides to make a gaming device :O *gasps* which uses the iPhone's accelerometer and multi touch interface and tactile gaming buttons...
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    No Offence lol, but is it just my rather limited knowledge or are there only 3 major gaming handhelds competing with each other right now?

1.Nintendo DS
    2. Sony PSP
    3. To a lesser degree, the iPhone/ iPod Touch