The iPad: What I think is missing...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Abcmsaj, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    In my honest opinion, the iPad is a revolutionary device. Incredible. I'm extremely impressed and it is perfect for students, home use, or work. As well as being able to support all of your iPhone/iPod apps, there will be new apps (including iWork), and I'll explain my opinions based on what I'll be using it for.

• Creating essays
    • Creating keynotes
    • eBooks
    • Textbooks
    • Games
    • Medical Apps
    • iTunes U podcasts

I want to be a doctor. Netter's anatomy is an iPhone app which I currently use to study the anatomy. When I got to university, I hope to be able to get all my textbooks from the iBooks store, and carry them around on my iPad. Games I play now like Tap Tap, Doodle Jump, Space Ninja - They all work on the tablet. Everything is compatible with everything else I own, and it's brilliant.

However, apart from the educational side of it, I also want to use it for personal + home use. So browsing the web is perfect. Apps like Tweetie and Facebook will be great on the iPad (but I hope they release iPad specific versions too - so much potential)

But! No camera means no Skyping. I do this a lot. Lack of a proper hard drive means I can't just plug my iPad into an computer and drag and drop files over. Which sucks. What if my college computer hasn't got iTunes? And the device had so much potential... like "Hot Corners" and the option for a device which runs Snow Leopard.

But Flash isn't an issue to me. I don't want Flash, because Flash is sluggish and is used for games, mainly, and I have games in the form of App Store games

Please Register or Log in to view images

Pros
    • Amazing for education
      • eBooks
      • iTunes U
      • Subject-Specific Apps
      • iWork
    • Beautiful design
    • Easy to navigate
    • Works with everything else already
    • 10 hour battery

Cons
    • No camera... Was necessary for conference calling
    • Touch sensitive bezel would have been cool
    • 3G version is ugly with that black thing on the back
    • No universal compatibility without iTunes
    • Multitasking is possible, especially with a 10 hour battery life.. but they still refuse to add it.

Indifferences
    • I don't care about Flash. HTML5 is coming anyway. There is already a YouTube app, which is the only hindrance you might face without Flash.
    • Price is hardly an issue, it's so cheap
  2. deadlyvirus

deadlyvirus New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    For textbooks maybe but a netbook beats it in every other way.
  3. Jacob

Jacob Well-Known Member

Very well put. I would also like to get one because it is still an amazing device no matter what people say. No webcam is something I don't care much about. The 3G is ugly, but who cares if you have a case

Please Register or Log in to view images

And I don't like how the 3G is an extra $129 either. Multitasking might be possible in future versions of the operating system or maybe just jailbreak and use Multifl0w which would work great I'm sure because I'm guessing it has 512MB of RAM. No universal compatibility without iTunes isn't a big deal :\ A touch sensitive bezel sounds a little elaborate haha.
  4. Zc456

Zc456 Member

Reasonable argument.

1. I find it hard to grasp the no camera deal when applications are embedded combined with the "it can't multitask" shi-argument.
    2. No comment.
    3. No biggy.
    4. They may take the shackles of iTunes in later revisions.
    5. What we saw was an early build of the iPad; even the SDK is in beta. We may see multitasking in later software updates.

People argue to much about the hardware that we'll see "normal" tablet features in later revisions. Which we might. However, they're forgetting that the software matters more. So stuff like multitasking is honest reality no matter what model your using.
  5. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I don't think netbooks do..
  6. Zc456

Zc456 Member

At this moment in time, there isn't really anything "net" about them. Its basically just a cheap laptop with Windows or Linux slapped on. Now with Chrome OS... that's another story!