The iPad Costs Apple As Little As $229.35 to Build

Discussion in 'iPad' started by zDSpider, Feb 10, 2010.

1. zDSpider

zDSpider Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
  2. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Wow, I never realized the parts were this cheap to produce.

$17.00 processor that has a video thingy inside it?
    $2.60 GPS?

They are making a lot of money off of this.

I'm sure it's the same story for everything else they've created.
  3. Gershmer

Gershmer Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    It is a little wrong of Apple to make that much profit, maybe they want more money for iPad Generation 2, and this is where they get the extra money.

But that is crazy.
  4. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

You guys have to remember that Apple has to buy these parts in large quantities. So obviously they're gonna be cheaper if they buy thousands and thousands of these parts. Buying anything in large quantities will always make it cheaper.
  5. zDSpider

zDSpider Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Did you know that memory sticks cost the same between the sizes ? The material is roughly the same, with very little difference in cost (the majority goes into research and development). So when you buy a larger size iPod touch/iPhone/iPad/Memory Stick/MicroSD/etc., you're basically paying through your nose.

It's a marketing thing. You see double the size, you automatically think double the price. It's actually more like a few bucks more. Definitely not double (or close to double) the price. So the 16 GB/32 GB ($30 vs $60) is pure marketing crap. You would have to be really eccentric (or just dumb) to go for 64 GB. But by all means, go for it.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Apple stocks grow larger with every sell. You make a lot of fat cats fatter.
  6. austers

austers Well-Known Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    This doesn't take into account shipping costs, advertising etc, also remember that Apple doesn't make all the money from the retail price. Although, it's still a rip off anyway and you'd have to be quite a fool to buy one of these if you already own a itouch or iphone.
  7. zDSpider

zDSpider Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Advertising maybe. But considering the "boom" effect it had on the internet with the press conference and reviews and such, not so much I think. Shipping ? Most will buy it from Apple stores or from other retailers (eBay and such).

I too was surprised by the cost of a GPS chip. They could've added it to the iPod touch "Late 2009" model if they wanted to. The software could've been compatible (from the iPhone side) but they must've thought it would compete too much with the iPhone then. But I'm not bothered by the lack of GPS. Still, $2.60 ?! Scrooges...
  8. austers

austers Well-Known Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    By shipping I meant shipping it from where it was built to the retailers and whole salers etc. The problem with most Apple products is that you are paying extra just because of the fact that it is an Apple product.
  9. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I don't know why does this surprise you so much guys
    apple products have long history of being overpriced

the same goes for macs
    for the price you par for the cheapest core 2 duo imac you can build an i7 system

or the price of the macbook pro can get you core i5 notebook with dedicated graphics superiors to that of the macbook pro offerings

the same goes for workstations
  10. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    This is JUST the material costs. You need to take into account for labour and software, people have to get paid for that to, and it all quickly adds up.

I'm not saying Apple make very little profit, but they make less than what you're making it seem.