The invisual case puts blind people back in touch with the iPhone

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Alpha911, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Alpha911

Alpha911 New Member

Device:
    iPad

Please Register or Log in to view images

more picz: http://www.yankodesign.com/2008/12/01/this-iphone-is-touchier-than-most/

Perhaps the biggest criticism of the iPhone is that its lack of tactile feedback renders it useless to the blind. It's simply impossible to feel your way around a flat, featureless screen...

...Or at least it used to be. Because product designer Bruno Fosi has developed a new silicon case that puts the visually impaired back in touch with the device.

Fosi's "invisual" iPhone case is engraved with a set of modified bas-relief (i.e. tactile) buttons, each one corresponding to a different function on the iPhone's touchscreen user interface. In order to ensure that different screens/applications don't interfere with these mappings, the user simply installs a special app that reconfigures the layout of each of the iPhone's core features (phone, email, text messaging, calculator etc.) so as to maintain consistency. This app also enables a number of special accessibility functions like text-to-speech and moon type tactile feedback.

Yanko Design has branded the invisual case "BRILLIANT!", and we're inclined to agree...however, we can't help wondering whether blind users will actually adopt this product in real-life. If you were blind, wouldn't you prefer a mobile device with a "proper" tactile keyboard? Perhaps some of our visually impaired users can enlighten us in the comments section...

http://www.etre.com/blog/2008/12/invisual_iphone_case/
  2. Baker5

Baker5 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    thats crazy dude i gotta tell my friend to get that so i can see how well it works
  3. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

I'm wondering whether that special App violates App Store rules - because it sounds like it HAS to... but at the same time, if Apple didn't approve it, they'd be setting themselves up for a discrimination lawsuit.
  4. touchmymonkey

touchmymonkey New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    All computer products are long overdue for being made accessible to the disabled, especially the blind.
    No reason in the world most of them can't operate by voice.
  5. ryanlusk

ryanlusk Banned

Half the feature still would be useless.
  6. hakk79

hakk79 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    It is brilliant, but alot of the whole point of the iPhone is to see and use. This cripples the iPhone for the impaired but for now is a good solution until a better one can be found.
  7. touchmymonkey

touchmymonkey New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    True, of the current apps.
    It would be nice to see apps developed that would be specific to the disabled.
    Blind people like movies too. It seems easy to design an app to play movies without the visual, thus probably saving battery life.
  8. ryanlusk

ryanlusk Banned

I think they should make a blind person friendly phone.
    With like buttons in braille that are for certain people , and you just get a seeing person to put the numbers in or something.
  9. Baggy Spandex

Baggy Spandex Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    nah....a disabled-freindly phone should have complete independent use. they could input numbers with voice or somethin though.
  10. touchmymonkey

touchmymonkey New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)