iOS 3.1 The Horrid Error 20 (Downgrading from 3.1 to 3.0)

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Forever2468, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Forever2468

Forever2468 New Member

Alright so you may have read the name so my problem is obvious. I can't downgrade my iPod Touch 2G from 3.1 to 3.0....I mean I have the .ipsw, and I restored the iPod with it...or well tried to and it told me that I can't basically because error 20 came up....and also I have iTunes 9.whatever...if that helps...
  2. Plat

Plat New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Uninstall iTunes 9 and install 8.2, after that put your iPod in DFU mode and then Shift+Restore to the 3.0 Firmware.
  3. Forever2468

Forever2468 New Member

Wouldn't I loose all my music?
    And I'm failing at successfully putting my iPod into DFU mode...
  4. nATEdAWGG

nATEdAWGG New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    @forever
    once you have followed the dfu tutorials, then your screen should be black and off... and btw what firmware did your ipt come with? because the ones that came with 3.1 or later cannot be restored past 3.1.. i think apple did it on purpose so we can't jailbreak it :l but f\_/ck them

Please Register or Log in to view images

geohot's tool should be released soon so if it did come with 3.1, then you'll just have to wait...lol and yes, it is very fustrating
  5. Plat

Plat New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Not only the music, but you are going to lose everything else in your iPod.
  6. Supertouch

Supertouch Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Nope.

That won't work. DFU and shift click in iTunes 9 is the only way I am aware of. It make take a few reboots of both systems to finally recognize. You can downgrade iTunes. If you try, and I have, You will get an error when trying to open it. Becuase the library is of a newer format they are not compatible. Hope this helps!
    Ps: you will only lose your settings and notes and such. You can still sync music, etc.
  7. Plat

Plat New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yes this will work as I did this twice, the first time to test the concept and the second on a different computer, to bypass that error you only need to go to My Documents ==>My Musics ==> iTunes, once in the iTunes folder all you have to do is Rename the iTunes Library.itl and the iTunes Music Library file to something else. Once this is done you can install an older copy of iTunes and Restore it to 3.0.