The Great Debate Between Ipad and HP Slate.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by helikido, Feb 15, 2010.

?

Which do you think is better?

1. HP Slate running Windows 7 os

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Apple Ipad running Apple Iphone os.

12 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. helikido

helikido New Member

now lets start this thread dedicated to the ipad and the hp slate. wich one is better in all wises. screen, performance everything even small things that don't matter. lets see who wins. i wan't allot of input. hp vs apple. i go with hp but i still don't doubt apple.
  2. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Yes. iPad vs something we have no information on. Let's do it.

Oh wait, there is ONE thing. And it's a huge crutch. Windows 7.
  3. Zc456

Zc456 Member

They're touchscreen. Keyboard-less. Black bezel. One has iPhone OS, the other Windows 7.

Oh wait, HP's has US-freakin'-B... how exciting. </sarcasm>
  4. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Sold.

USB seals the deal; no way I can live without another couple USP ports thrown in on my life.
  5. helikido

helikido New Member

hah- an hp slate can control an ipad. you can sync music to your ipad- and any other ipod from the slate. it's basicly a computer desktop that is in tablet form. for all i know even windows 7 is a killer. the slate has full capabilities of a desktop.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    if it has enough power or res- you can get a separate blue ray rom drive or dvd drive and use your dvds that you can rent for 1 dollar (red box) and watch them on the slate. ipad- no way, that will never happen with ipad.
  6. Teslanaut

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    PROBLEM right there. You want a SLATE computer. Not a desktop. You want an OS that does what the form factor needs. And has apps that fit the form factor. You don't want to spend time pressing the little X in the corner or using the scroll bar. THAT is why you need a touch OS like Android or Maemo or iPhone. You need an OS with the platform in mind. Not just poorly "Add" little touch features to a bloated desktop OS.

Just put a little thought into that.
  7. stillercity

stillercity New Member

It's more like iPad vs. all other tablets. No other company really has come out like Apple did with the iPad, and there are no real frontrunners. I'm not too big of a fan of the HP Slate but it's hard to say since there is not a lot of information on it. Right now to be honest I'm a big fan of the Notion Ink Adam but not a lot of information has been released about that either. All I know is that it's sexy. And yes USB is important stop acting like it isn't.

And it's not like there isn't a problem with a phone OS on a TABLET. Sure we don't want to have to press the little X to close screens (which is pretty much a metaphor for a lot of things on a Desktop OS) but we want a little more functionality than what a phone OS offers. For instance, multitasking (which the iPhone OS doesn't have but the Android OS does). Or Flash support (yes HTML 5 is the future but we live in the present). And I think a filesystem does go a long way and sometimes I wish OS developers on Smartphones and now Tablets would realize that.
  8. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    Lets bring in all the other tablet computers coming out also?
  9. Doobie

Doobie New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    and the iphoneOS is any better?
    no multitasking
    and failure to support multiple media files is annoying.

like it or not, iphoneOS isnt better then windows 7 on a tablet

the thing about having an open tablet like the HP Slate, you can probably install different OS's on it. So that opens up multiple opportunities.

secondly lets go with waht we KNOW about both:

HP slate:

- better possessor (at a price of 1500$ its for sure that it will)
    - multitasking
    - not locked to any software thus fully independent
    - USB port/s
    - Windows 7 (more freedom)

those things alone make it able to do MUCH MUCH more then the ipad.
    i dont think theres even competition.

HP slate > Ipad
    you know what, its probably a challenge to make a tablet as bad as the ipad.
  10. Teslanaut

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    It has multitasking. You can listen to music while playing your games or using any other app. To be specific, it doesn't have multitasking for 3rd party apps. So you can't say it can't do multitasking. Also, even Android has problems with Multitasking. With devices as they are today, we're far from getting Desktop grade Multitasking.
    What do you mean by that? It supports quite a lot of media files and formats. More than Zune HD. And, as the business that Apple is, I think it would be in their interest to support formats that they distribute and to fight for standardization of One format so it'll make it easier for things to be streamed with their systems.

How so? The iPhone OS has tons of Apps that you can use and is built with touch in mind. Windows 7? It has some touch, but the OS itself is still focused on the mouse & keyboard interface. There are less Apps that use touch on Windows 7 than there are Apps in Palm's catalog. Way less.

Same applies for Android don't it? But again, what's the use? No mainly touch related apps. And Android apps from the market won't exactly work on x86 will they?

secondly lets go with waht we KNOW about both:

Ok, a few things:

Better CPU - How will it be better? Have you seen how a Netbook deals with 720p video? The CPU has at least 1.1 - 1.6 GHz and stull CHUGGGGSS at attempting Flash or 720p. Yet the 1 GHz Apple chip can handle it fine? Even lesser GHz CPUs like the 600 - 800 MHz ARM chips can do 720p better than an Intel chip. So better CPU?... I don't think so.

Multitasking - Pointed out above. I notice that you leave out something that is 90% crucial to anything portable: Battery Life. As you know, Multitasking takes a toll on battery life. Will the HP slate have 10 hour battery life? And, Windows 7 isn't exactly the best at power management. The highest battery life I've seen is in a netbook. The Nokia Booklet 3G. Promised 12 Hour battery life.

Locked - This is both bad and good. Good in that they can create a safe, fast, fluid experience, which is what some people actually want. Like Developers. One App to deploy on a uniform platform. Like consumers, who want a great and easy experience. Now if you wanted a device to hack, Get the HP Slate! Or rather, something that is even more Open, like an Android tablet or phone or player.

USB Ports - Is this really necessary? I mean, no one has complained that mobile devices have no USB ports. So why is it necessary on a tablet?

Windows 7 - Just read above.

I wouldn't say that the HP Slate > iPad. It's just a different interpretation. The HP Slate is more of taking the Desktop model and attempting to shove it into a tablet format, whether that is good or bad is yet to be seen. Whereas the iPad is taking the cues from the Mobile Laptop & Smartphone and creating a Hybrid device. They're in different classes, different ways of doing things. You can't really compare the two as of yet.

God f***ing damnit. I promised myself I wouldn't get too involved.