The gpSPhone FAQ

Discussion in 'Gameboy Advance emulator (gpSPhone)' started by Nordini, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Nordini

Nordini Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    EDIT: I AM Knocturne on Gamekiller. Any guide posted under that name is authorized.

Just to clear something up, ROMs are illegal! it doesn't matter if you own the game or if you own 10 copies of the game the ROMs are still illegal to have. its duplicating a game and making a copy that you didnt pay for!

well i recently made an Frequently Asked Questions topic for the NES emulator so i figured i should make one for the gpSPhone emulator too. hope this helps somebody.

PM me for GBA ROMs.

1. Q: What is the gpSPhone?
    A: The gpSPhone is a Gameboy Advance emulator for the iPod Touch. an emulator is a downloadable replica of a gaming system where you can download ROMs to play on it free of charge.

2. Q: Where do i get the gpSPhone and how do i operate it?
    A: The gpSPhone can be found under the installer application under the games section after jailbreaking your iPod Touch or you can install it manually by downloading it from a link and SSHing it to your iTouch.

3. Q: What? I've tried to run my gpSPhone but it won't work. I get some garbled error message.
    A: You need the BIOS file to launch your gpSPhone's games. If you PM me ill give you the link to download the BIOS. Once you have it, log on to WinSCP or whatever program you use to SSH things to your iTouch and go to the media_sym folder then the applications folder tehn the gpSPhone folder. Copy the BIOS file into there and right click it and go to properties to change the permission to 755.

4. Q:What are ROMs? Where do i get ROMs?
    A: ROMs are illegal copies of games to play on your emulators like the gpSPhone. They are full games not demos. you can get them from many sites for free. PM me and ill give you links to several sites where you can download them.

5. Q: My games are very slow or laggy. What did i do wrong?
    A: Nothing. Thats simply how ROMs are. No ROM is absolutely perfect. The author works hard to update to new versions of the emulator to increase performance but you can't rush perfection. Some games run better then others so experiment around a little.

6. Q: My games run well but my sound is very scratchy. Is this a bad BIOS file?
    A: No. All BIOS files are the same and they have nothing to do with the quality of performance of your games. The sound for all these games is scratchy and fairly poor. Audio is one of the hardest things to get onto a ROM. This will hopefully improve over time as the emulator's author releases new updates.

7. Q: I dont like how the buttons cover part of the screen. Help?
    A: Well you can try downloading more transparent controller skins from another topic so they dont show up as easily or you can turn off the enable scaling feature under the settings tab and then your buttons will be moved off of the screen.

8. Q:What is Frame Skip?
    A: Frame skip is how many frames the game skips per second. You can change this number under settings to make the game run slower or faster at the risk of having choppy graphics. Frame skip A is usually the best choice because it automatically selects teh best frame skip for you.

9. Q:How can i make suggestions for new features on the gpSPhone's next update?
    A: Go to Zodttd.com thats the gpSPhone's author's website. he has forums there and if you have a problem with his emulator or a suggestion you can post it there and he will most likely reply. He is a hardworking person and is very kind.

(credit to Shotgunfool for this one)
    10. Q: Can I run Gameboy Color games?
    A: Using a program called Goomba (search google or PM me i just found it) you can convert your Gameboy Color files into Gameboy Advance files and then run them on your gpSPhone.

(credit to Danls92 for these 2)
    11. Q: Can I trade Pokemon or connect to other iPods?
    A: Again, no. The way the GBA was designed, if there is any lag in the games it would most likely crash the games. Since it is over a wireless network, there will be lag, even if it is unnoticeable to humans.

12. Q: Is there an Installer source where I can download ROMS?
    A: Since ROMs are illegal, no there is not. There was one at one point, but it closed.

If you have any suggestions for questions i should put here feel free to post them. also feel free to post here or PM me with questions or comments.
  2. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Figured I'd add a few:

10. Q: Can I run Gameboy Color games?
    A: No, gpSPhone is a gameboy advance emulator, and can only run GBA games. This support might eventually be added, but more than likely would require a completely seperate emulator.

11. Q: Can I trade Pokemon or connect to other iPods?
    A: Again, no. The way the GBA was designed, if there is any lag in the games it would most likely crash the games. Since it is over a wireless network, there will be lag, even if it is unnoticeable to humans.
  3. Nordini

Nordini Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    thank you. i added them in case soembodys to stupid to read the first post lol. agh i wish we could play GBC games on this tho i have a couple id like to play
  4. rokrboy

rokrboy Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPod touch
    This is really good. Good work once again. This should help people new to jailbreak etc.
  5. sumter554

sumter554 New Member

i heard it was possible to convert .gbc files to .gba, but i couldnt get to work though but i didnt really try
    the program was called goomba or something
  6. Nordini

Nordini Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    ive heard that too but i didnt hear of anybody who could get it to work so i didnt even try.
    oh well im not that bummed.
  7. nickels412

nickels412 New Member

is there any way to do it without an SCP client?
    For some strange reason none of them work for me, Ive tried all the passwords and everything
    I have the BIOS file, i just need to be able to move it into the gpsphone application, which I can't do with TouchCopy, which is what I am using at the moment instead of SCP, it only lets you into the media file, not any of the application files.
    help please
    thanks
  8. Nordini

Nordini Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    really, thats quite strange. hmm well if you had a source for installer that contained a downloadable package with the BIOS file in it that might work. otherwise idk of a way to do it without an SCP program.

ill tryto help you more tomorrow when i have access to my computer. right now its just me and my ipod.

edit: wait did u try ibrickr?
  9. nickels412

nickels412 New Member

yea i tried ibrickr, it wouldnt pick up my ipod, they can't put it in the installer as a source because the BIOS aren't the most legal thing out there. Ibrickr would work if I could just get it to pick up my ipod.
    thanks again
  10. Nordini

Nordini Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    well they put NES ROMs in sources and those are illegal as well. hmm i dont get why it doesnt pick up your iPod.

are you entering the right IP address of your iTouch into the Host section on the login screen?