The Four Installers: Comparison

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Yenova, May 13, 2009.

1. Yenova

Yenova New Member

First there was Cydia and Installer, then came Icy and now Kryptes. Many people say, isn't two enough? I personally don't mind how many there are, the thing that matters most is which one is the best? That is why i have created this table to find which installer is the best!

Please Register or Log in to view images

From the table above, Icy would be the best, Installer comes next then Cydia, and Kryptes would come last. Personally, i like Icy the most but of course everyone has their own opinions.

Icy has the best loading time opening the app and ties with Cydia in loading inside the app. It's ad free, has the ability to add sources, has screenshots for themes and installs files fast.

Installer is the only one that can download multiple files at once and multitask. It's ad free and has moderate speed in installing files, opening the app, and loading inside the app. It also has the ability to add sources. Probably the only downside of Installer is that there isn't any screenshots for themes.

Cydia is the only one that has the ability to queue files. It has screenshots for themes, the ability to add sources and it ties with Icy in loading inside the app. The downsides for Cydia is the slow speed in installing files and opening the app. Also, there are a few ads here and there.

Kryptes is the fastest at installing files. Loading is fast when opening the app and it has screenshots for themes. A big downside was not being able to add sources, there were a lot of ads and the loading inside the app was slow.

2. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    God that chart is terrible. Made in Paint XP?
  3. KevN

KevN Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Installer is second??!??!?! Have you even opened Installer before?
  4. Jacob

Jacob Well-Known Member

I vote for Icy. It is AWSOMELY fast.
  5. Ari.

Ari. Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    i prefer cydia

icy just is too plain, cydia had decent icons to seperate the files.. :/
  6. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Queue. And I think Installer could do that before couldn't it? This is back on 1.X days. Not sure if they took that out.
  7. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Your data is all wrong.

• AddSources: Kryptes was designed by a fail coder. Seriously.
    • Ads: No advertisers equal NO REPO OWNERS. The kind of bandwidth required to provide a decent repository is not cheap. No, I'm not talking about some cheezemo repository, like the dozens that are out there. I mean a real deal repository. Without advertisements, all the quality repos would go down and you'd have to deal with hundreds of smaller repositories loading (slowing down whatever installer you're using). You'd have to install them all just to get anything worthwhile, as there is no centralized place you can TRUST anymore. Ads equal win. End of story.
    • Download Multiple Files at Once: Not a single installer downloads multiple files at once. None of them do.
    • The only reason Icy installs faster than Cydia is because RiPDev rewrote dpkg(for some reason, maybe they thought they were smarter and better than 15 years of work by the Debian engineers?). Unfortunately when they did, they left out a lot of the important stuffs they shouldn't have. The Cydia install is guaranteed to always be correct 100% of the time. They seriously leave a lot out, and I refuse to install it for this reason. Kryptes uses its own repository format, just like Installer on 1.x. It is almost like it was designed to fail.
    • Loading: Cydia is the fastest package manager to load its packages (from multiple sources). It is also the first one to finish loading the packages, etc. It is simply worlds better than any other installer app. But why does it appear slower? That is because of tricks. For example, Icy makes you think it's done loading, when it in fact has not. It continues loading long after you have access to the app.
    • Opening the app: I don't know what you're referring about? Tapping the icon? In that case, it's exactly the same. If you mean the amount of time until you can start using the app, then your results may be accurate to what you experience. But it isn't reflective of what's going on within the app (see the previous point).
    • Queueing files: In Cydia queueing is awkwardly implemented. Yeah, it's there, so it gets the green, but still.
    • Screenshots*: WTF? You can take screenshtos of any app.

*Yes, I realize you got this from elsewhere that provided screenshots.

[EDIT] I found it. Taken word for word form: http://ipodtouchs.blogspot.com/2009/05/four-installers-comparison.html (including the digg button)
  8. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    ^lol..... you sure do love cydia

but IMO i prefer Icy...

9. madcowz

madcowz New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch