The Fool-Proof guide to getting free 2.0

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by ipodtouchnoobster, Jul 11, 2008.

1. ipodtouchnoobster

ipodtouchnoobster New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The Fool-Proof Guide To FREE 2.0
    Credit to H3X for the original method

Please Register or Log in to view images

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE CAUSED TO YOUR IPOD BY MISREADING OR EVEN PERFECTLY FOLLOWING THIS GUIDE, NOR AM I RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE CAUSED TO ANY OF YOU DEVICES FROM THE USE OF IPSW FILES TAKEN FORM ANY SITE

nO PROBLEMS HAVE BEEN FOUND USING THIS NOR HAVE I OR ANY TESTERS HAD THEIR IPODS BRICKED FROM THIS METHOD, THOUGH THERE IS A SLIGHT CHANCE YOU MAY MANAGE TO BRICK YOUR IPOD, ALTHOUGH BRICKING IS THEORETICALLY IMPOSSIBLE SINCE THE FIRMWARE FILE IS OFFICIAL AND LEGIT AND IT IS ALL APPLES WORK.

STEP 1: Put your ipod touch into DFU mode. You MAY NOT use any program to do this. It must be done manually. Do this by holding the power+home buttons until the ipod turns off (you may encounter a slide to power off screen while holding them. do nothing and continue holding). As soon as the iPod turns off, release the Power button and only hold the Home button. As soon as your iPod appears in iTunes, release the Home button.

STEP 2: Connect your ipod to your computer via usb and open up itunes.

STEP 3:
    Download the ipod 2.0 firmware (.ipsw) file by googling "ipod 1.1.4 *******", I'm sorry but I can't post a direct link even though I have the file.

STEP 4:
    Option+click (Mac) or Shift+Click (Windows) on the Restore button on the "iPod found in Recovery Mode" screen. Make sure you continue holding the Shift/Opyion button until the file explorer window pops up. If the window does not popup within 10 seconds, click the button again. do not release the shift/option button until the explorer window pops up!!! Select the firmware file you downloaded and click open.

STEP 5: After you click open, you should see the classic "prearing to update" window. and viola! you have got it!

REMINDER: Don't restore from a backup!

Also, I would reccomend not upgrading until the pwnagetool 2.0 is released, as 2.0 SUCKS until further notice (or just until jailbreak)

--------------------FAQ:--------------------
    My ipod touch has been plugged in for 15 minutes and its still stuck preparing to restore: This is okay. Whatever you do, do not disconnect the ipod. 2.0 takes a very long time to install. The wait time could be 5, 10 or even 35 minutes. It all depends on your computer speed.

All of my apps crash when I try to run them: You will have to reinstall 2.0, I'm sorry.

My yotube app isn't working: Just download anny application from the app store (free or paid) and that should be fixed.

I get an error message the first time I connect my ipod to my computer after restoring: This happened to me... just disconnect your ipod, then reconnect it and your ipod should go from the connect to itunes screen to the slide to unlock screen. just unlock it and you should be okay.

It didn't work, how do I downgrade if I decide not to try anymore: Follow the 2.0 to 1.1.4 downgrading guide Here
  2. consume1

consume1 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    What the f*** is with all of you? You download the f***ing firmware, find it and hit open. There is no f***ing trick.
  3. mce0004

mce0004 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    why google "ipod 1.1.4 *******"??
  4. fury88

fury88 New Member

just download the firmware off those many links that have been posted in this forum. it can't be any easier....consume1 is absolutely right
  5. ipodtouchnoobster

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    apple finally got smart and took down the firmware from their servers where we found it and a ******* is the fastest method. I happened to get the file before it got removed.
  6. Nawaaz91

Nawaaz91 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    "bricking can possibly occur"
    ]No........
  7. deathshadow391

deathshadow391 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yeah but dont we want the 2.0 Software?
  8. fury88

fury88 New Member

yep, bricking almost never occurs, unless you are really messing up your ipod
  9. ipodtouchnoobster

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    yes... we do. but unfortunately IPTF wont let me post a direct link to the file, otherwise I would upload it to my own website.
  10. deathshadow391

deathshadow391 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Ok. I tried this and at around 70% I got error message -5. Now whenever I try to go back to 1.1.4 I get error message 1479. What happened???