The flaws of iTunes U.

Discussion in 'Front page news archive' started by News Bot, Sep 12, 2009.

1. News Bot

News Bot iFans.com News

2. AVFC1

AVFC1 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    You're complaining because all the resources you want aren't on itunes. How about taking the time to look at the university websites and prospectuses, online student forums, university rankings and unistats.com to help you make your decision, rather than being lazy.
  3. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Whoah hang on. I have looked at prospectuses and the websites or else I wouldn't have picked those universities in the first place. I'd rather has someone talk to me about the university on a one to one basis if that's alright? There's a difference between seeing a picture of 6 people acting "happy" at the university, and actually having 6 people tell me about the university.

Those prospectuses are propaganda in themselves. They're DESIGNED to make you want to go to the university anyway. It's a big decision and it's not laziness at all. It's cleaning up - closure - getting final advice by using resources which aren't present because universities are obviously trying to make themselves look amazing on prospectuses.
  4. Awesome

Awesome Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I second that.
  5. jrcdude

jrcdude New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    I third that. Why would you blame iTunes? Go get the information yourself.
  6. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    What am I blaming iTunes for? Did anyone actually read it?
  7. ICanHaziPod

ICanHaziPod New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I read it and I support. If colleges want you to join, they should reach out to people as much as possible. Using something as huge and popular as iTunes could only help persuade people to come to there college.
  8. SjPedro

SjPedro Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I read your post and I can see what you are talking about even though i am from portugal and I don't expect iTunes U to work for us in a while.....I think the fault here is both Apple and the Universities..... Apple for not "advertising" this new service to all the known Universities that have enough European and American reconnaissance so they would start using it....and it's the universities' fault for not at least being in contact with all that today's technological and communication advances....I don't see this service being available at my University for the simple fact that we have a protocol with Microsoft....they provide us with licenses for using their software and on the other hand we provide them with new engineers to work with them....so doing something with Apple would probably feel like treason for them......I don't know...don't care....but I have to say this iTunes service would be a huge asset for students and a new platform for teachers....I think it might take some time until universities start using this service (it's only been out for what? a month of something).....let's give it time.....hopefully in about 6 months or a year this will turn into what it advertises to be
  9. bohemian03

bohemian03 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    good luck with college apps! i'm also a senior so i'm applying to like 10 colleges in the US.

Anyway, I believe itunes IS a great way to get to know the colleges you're applying to but that's only one way. If oxford is the only university on itunes university, then find other ways to get to know the other universities. My friend who is interested in UK universities, she has literally gone to the UK 4 times to look at the courses she wants to apply to. This applies to US colleges to. I have gone to the US to look at the colleges I'm interested in. I think it's a valid opinion and you should e-mail apple as a suggestion or something like that but I think you should stop complaining? or at least change your tone. I mean come on! apple is an AMERICAN company. Of course they will have more resources for the SATs, ACTs, american colleges than the UKCAT, BMAT, or UK universities.
  10. SjPedro

SjPedro Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    there's a big difference between complaining and stating a fact....all we have done here so far is just giving out the facts.... it's a great contribution? yes it is!! can this be a great asset to all? yes it can ........does it have it's flaws? yes it does! and we as users are doing our job reporting these flaws so apple and the other parties involved can improve this new feature