The First Generation iPod

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jrfoxe, Oct 23, 2009.

1. jrfoxe

jrfoxe New Member

Is it unlockable without a mac? I have 3.1 firmware. I want to unlock this phone by tonight, but I don't want to have to use my friend's mac. I will if I have to, I was just wondering if it's possible without a mac.
  2. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

If you can unlock an iPod you are a god.

To answer your question about a first generation iPhone: You should be able to get the correct custom firmware and unlock it on your windows box. If anything goes wrong it is OK to restore it to the factory firmware and try again; just be sure you have the right custom firmware for an unlocked, 2G, iPhone.
  3. jrfoxe

jrfoxe New Member

Sorry I meant iPhone lol. What should use to unlock it? That thing you posted on my other post was helpful, but it was for Mac. If I can't find one for windows I will end up using my friend's mac and doing that.
  4. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

The 2G iPhones are a little different and the unlock uses a "bootloader neuter" to unlock them. That is all enclosed in the custom firmware that Pwnage Tool creates and when you restore to the custom firmware it will run the boot-neuterer and unlock the iPhone.

I have not done a 2G on Windows but it should be simple assuming you find a good firmware.

As you already know Pwnage Tool is only for Mac but here a decent guide that may explain the boot neuter a little better: 2G unlock
  5. jrfoxe

jrfoxe New Member

OK I'm using my friends mac. To be clear, will this unlock the phone for use in other countries if I follow the instructions on the link exactly? Also, it is a jailbreak that won't require me to re-do it every time i turn the ipod off?
  6. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

The unlock will allow you to use any GSM carrier no matter the country.

The jailbreak (and the unlock) will stay on the iPhone until you restore it to another firmware (this can be to due an update or if you mess with something and screw up the files system). You can shut it down and restart it as much as you want; you will not lose the unlock or the jailbreak.