The Firmware 2.0 and App Store FAQ

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by Joe Rossignol, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    The Firmware 2.0/App Store FAQ
    Written by Kiks52 | This information is OUTDATED.

• Is Firmware 2.0 released? Yes. Firmware 2.0 is preloaded on all iPhone 3Gs, available as a free update for first generation iPhones, and is available for $9.99 on iPod touch.
    • What does the Firmware 2.0 update include? The Firmware 2.0 update includes the new firmware, which includes access to the App Store and the ability to use applications that you install from the App Store. The update also includes the January App Pack for iPod touch, for no extra charge. To read more information on Firmware 2.0 specifics, read spoonforknife's thread here.
    • How do I purchase Firmware 2.0 for iPod touch? To purchase the Firmware 2.0 update for iPod touch, you need to do so via the iTunes Store. Using a credit card and iTunes gift card are both options for payment, although gift cards do not work in certain countries including Canada. If you can't find the purchase page for the Firmware 2.0 update, use the iTunes Store search function. Your credit card/iTunes gift card will be charged accordingly.
    • Is Firmware 2.0 jailbroken? Yes. You can use PwnageTool 2.0 for Mac or WinPwn 2.0 for Windows/PC.
    • How do I access the App Store? You'll need the latest version of iTunes, iTunes 7.7 [no longer the newest version, but anything iTunes 7.7+ works], in order to access the App Store. Select iTunes Store from the left hand side of iTunes, followed by App Store, which has an orange bubble saying "New" next to it.
    • Where can I find the applications that I have downloaded/purchased? In iTunes 8, you'll need to turn on the Applications tab. Select Edit followed by Preferences and check off Applications. Select OK. Now, on the left hand side of iTunes, under Library, you will see an Applications tab that provides you with the icons and names of the applications you have downloaded/purchased.
    • How do I purchase applications? Applications can be purchased with your iTunes Store account. In order to setup an iTunes Store account, you'll need to enter in your credit card information, to be billed. Next, once your account is logged in, head to the application you desire to purchase, and select the Buy App button. Confirm the purchase if necessary, and the application will begin to download. Note that your credit card will be charged.
    • Can I purchase applications on my iPod? Yes, through the App Store application. You must be signed into your iTunes Store account through iTunes before hand.
    • How do I transfer my application purchases on my iPod to iTunes? Once your iPod touch is plugged in, under the Devices tab, right click (Windows) or Ctrl + Click (Mac) and you'll see Transfer Purchases.
    • Can I use an iTunes Gift Card with the App Store? Yes, you can use an iTunes Gift Card with the App Store, although in certain countries such as Canada you cannot.
    • How much are applications? Applications typically range in the $0.99 to $9.99 range, although there are many free applications, and many applications that will cost over $10. The maximum application price that can be set is $999.99.
    • What is the typical size of applications? Most applications range in the 0.5MB-50MB range, such as Super Monkey Ball, which is only 35MB. The application size limit is 2GB.

2. Brill301

Brill301 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Very Informative! D'you know when the 2.0 jailbreak will be released?
  3. Joe Rossignol

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    The iPhone Dev Team posted pictures of Firmware 2.0 being jailbroken, for Build 5A345, although they haven't mentioned anything about a release yet.
  4. Wicked One 612

Wicked One 612 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    How do you know it was for build 5A345? I'm pretty sure they did it on official 3G iPhone 5A347.
  5. Joe Rossignol

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I'm basing that off the comments that were made on the topic. They were discussing that this was done on 5A345.
  6. BroadStBullies

BroadStBullies Well-Known Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yet another great FAQ by Kiks52. Great job!
  7. Joe Rossignol

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Thanks

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. flat6tt

flat6tt New Member

so after i downloaded apps and its in my library in itunes 7.7 do i sync? and itll be on my ipod??
  9. Hawk805

Hawk805 New Member

what else is included with 2.0? i see that i can save images now from the web, thats new isnt it?

anything else like that new???
  10. Joe Rossignol

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Yes, you'll be able to sync the applications found in the Applications tab. You can sync them all or check each one you want off manually, and then sync.

Yeah, this FAQ isn't really to discuss things that are new, as there's already many.

See spoonforknife's thread, [The Facts] Firmware 2.0 and You