[The Facts] Firmware 2.0 and You

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by spoonforknife, Mar 15, 2008.

1. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

You're impatiently waiting for the shiny Firmware 2.0, and just bought a $50 iTunes card to spend on a set of shiny new features, and now you have some questions. Here are answers!

• Is Firmware 2.0 out yet?
      It is out. No link posting though. You have to pay for it and posting links to it would be a bannable offense. It costs $10 for iPod touch users.
    • What are the new features?

App Store
      The App Store is basically a child of Installer and Mobile iTunes. It is a center for downloads for applications with Featured, Just Added, Staff Favorites, Most Popular, and Categories.

Calculator
      • The Calculator gets completely rewritten with a new icon with square buttons, scientific functions, and landscape support. See image below for details on that.
      • New Calculator icon

Please Register or Log in to view images

Calendar
      Meeting Invites.
      Add Tags to Events.

Contacts
      New Contact Search.

Enterprise
      • Push email
      • Push contacts
      • Push calendar
      • Global Address List
      • Cisco VPN Support
      • Certificates and Identities
      • WPA2/802.1x
      • Enforced security policies
      • More VPN protocols
      • Device configuration
      • Remote wipe

Microsoft Exchange/ActiveSync protocol support is built in, so the iPhone can work directly with corporate exchange servers. This is built right into existing applications (Mail, Contacts, Calendar).

Maps
      • GPS Location Tracking [iPHONE ONLY]

Restrictions

New Restrictionss function. Apps and functions can be disabled. It's pretty straightforward. Some of the functions that can be disabled are explicit language in the iPod app and Safari.

Safari
      • Faster Javascript
      • Save Pictures

Springboard
    • Take Screenshots

Minor Updates
      • New iTunes icon
      • Mass Mail Deletion
      • Usage in Settings
      • Chinese Handwriting Recognition
        [/I]
      To get the new 2.0 icons, click here.
    • Why are they charging money for the update?
      They are charging money for the update because of "accounting reasons." This means that since they're not getting money from touch owners from cell phone contracts, they'll be charging for updates. Still, it's a pretty significant update and is probably worth paying a nominal fee for.
    • Where can I get 2.0?
      DO NOT ASK FOR IT ON THESE FORUMS! It will not help you, and the thread will be closed. Find it on some ******* site, become a pay for apple developer, or simply wait until June. Nobody will give you a link. Do keep in mind that downloading it now from a ******* website is ILLEGAL.
    • What is the jailbreak status of 2.0?
    You can currently jailbreak 2.0 with Pwnage, a tool from the Dev Team. For details on this, see Danls92's FAQ on Pwnage here.

WITH A FEW MODIFICATIONS

• What happens when I update my iPod to a newer firmware version, do I get to keep the updates and features, or do I have to pay again?
      Due to the magic of digital rights management, or DRM, iTunes is smart enough to know that you have already purchased the update and won't make you pay again.
    • Well, what if I have to restore my iPod and completely start from scratch?
      Again, we can thank our friend DRM for telling iTunes that you already purchased the update, and that it should go ahead and install the features upon restore. Luckily, DRM keeps all of its information stored on your computer, as well as your iPod. Thanks, DRM
    • Can I sync my friend/brother/azalea's iPod up to my computer and sync the update to their iPod?
      Unfortunately, no. The DRM is also smart enough to know that unauthorized devices should not be messing with your stuff and will not allow the update to be installed on anybody else's iPod but yours. Why should those freeloaders profit off of your money?
    • What if I authorize their iPod to use/play/watch things purchased with my account?
      It looks like it the Applications are synced by account and not serial number. So yes, you can.
    Sources:
    10 people like this.
  2. consume1

consume1 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    1 person likes this.
  3. jordanpooph555

jordanpooph555 New Member

why are they charging us a fee just to update and nnot iphone users
    or is it for just that push email and stuff?
    1 person likes this.
  4. ipodminiman

ipodminiman New Member

Probebly because the ipod touch cost less and were not paying at&t for cell phone service.
  5. ZombieKiller

ZombieKiller Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Its probably for the whole firmware, as it is a big update...

There will probably be another firmware update for 2.0 that just free, without the new Apps and Appstore. (Thats what i think...)

It will probably be like 30 USD? Hopefully...
  6. Whosthatrandom

Whosthatrandom New Member

I don't think they're going to charge for the firmware, as the guy above me suggested. Because then it would just get leaked. Most likely they'll do the same as they did for 1.1.3/1.1.4; give you the entire firmware, but with the new features (namely the App Store) disabled.
  7. snpri3

snpri3 New Member

for 50$ thats some cheap updates. jailbreak FTW
  8. FlashiPod4Free

FlashiPod4Free New Member

The best feature I see, and the only reason I would upgrade too, is because of the Parental Controls!
  9. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

Guys, I also found something else in relation to firmware 2.0.
    A new home button selector, similar to iPhoneHome

Please Register or Log in to view images

4 people like this.
  10. a33a

a33a New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    spoon I would rep you but I can't.

EDIT: Incase you are wondering why I can't rep spoon. It is because I have repped him before.(last 20 posts or something)
    1 person likes this.