The Dongle FAQ

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by Exosion, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Exosion

Exosion Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Okay, I'm honestly amazed that people don't know what the hell a dongle is GIVEN theres a video demonstrating it's use.
    ---
    What is a dongle?
    A dongle [in this situation] is a small device that hooks into the 30-pin input (the long input that you use to sync with iTunes and charge your ipod) and sends data to the device. In this case, the data is a command to boot into the jailbroken mode.

So how do I use it?
    Well it all depends how you build it. In a few days, MuscleNerd will have a guide on how to build a dongle to boot your ipod and I can only guess that it will cost you a bit of money and it will vary from person to person. In MN's video, he demonstrates a dongle that is activated by a key press while I'm sure a dongle that just activates as soon as it plugs in is possible.

How do I build it?
    (TBA) MuscleNerd will have a guide soon.

Okay, so is this the final version of redsn0w?
    Hard to say, really. I would assume no, and that the dev team will eventually find a way to get a full untethered jailbreak, but until then the dongle will be as far as they can go. I'm sure most of you can make-do with the tethered jailbreak though.

How much will it cost me to build this 'dongle' you speak of?
    (TBA) MuscleNerd will have a guide up soon which I'm sure will explain what tools we will need.
  2. Qartin

Qartin Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    MuscleNerd estimates it will cost about $30, but most stuff you will probably have.
  3. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I seriously want to sticky this but there are so many stuck threads in this section.
  4. Make It sn0w

Make It sn0w Banned

f***. This is either a sign from MuscleNerd that either the UTJB won't come out for a while, or not at all! No, I doubt it though. But still....... DUN DUN!
  5. xvenom89

xvenom89 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Perhaps create a [Tutorial] sub-category for the redsn0w board?
  6. Make It sn0w

Make It sn0w Banned

Eh, I say do it. It'll save ten times as many spams if you do.
  7. Bi0hAzArD

Bi0hAzArD Member

What if you unstuck the tutorials and put link them in the tutorials thread. The "Tutorials" subcategory is also a good idea.
  8. idk761

idk761 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    People tend to skip over stickies and go straight to the make a new thread tab, anyway.
  9. zeipodtouchguru

zeipodtouchguru New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Im pretty sure, that its untethered. But I got the necessary parts. So i'll be 3/4 tethered

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. jayjay960

jayjay960 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'm taking it that a home-made one won't have to be as big as the one he was using in the video? Cause that would still be a bit of a nuisance.