The current state of Instant Messaging.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Boop, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Boop

Boop New Member

I've read the rules, I've read as many instant messaging threads as I could, I felt it was necessary to make a separate thread.

The iPhone/iPod Touch is seemingly lacking a decent instant messenger. Before you go ape sh*t crazy in disagreement please hear me out.

First off I have done substantial research on the topic. I was surprised to see that at it's release the iPhone did not have any sort of instant messaging application. This would be unheard of on any new mobile phone / mobile computing device platform (most of the time), since staying in contact is the main purpose of the device. This has been remedied, but the development restrictions have made the new generation of IM clients non-acceptable to me.

- Security: Communicating and sending traffic through a middle-man (third-party server) is not acceptable security wise. Regardless of whether it is encrypted or not, your password, username, your messages, are all stored or passing through a non-official server unaffiliated with the messaging service.

- Registering for an unnecessary services (Fring, Palingro, Nimbuzz etc). Why do I NEED to made an account for your service. Include it in your protocol support instead.

- Restrictions: background applications are not allowed and a the push service is incomplete makes these applications either incapable of staying online once the application is not in the foreground or has required the use of a third party server to achieve this task (see point 1).

- Privacy Agreements: If you look at these services half of them are collecting information on you, a lot of times the information collected is unecessary. I should at least have the freedom to choose whether non-essential information is collected and used by a company.

- Price: Maybe a lot of people will disagree with me but, I would never pay for an instant messaging program. Most instant messaging clients are free. On your desktop computer it's free, its free officially from just about every instant messaging service, its free on other mobile platforms, its free 99% of the time. I do not expect video chat, the ability to make toast, or overly extensive features even though most of the time those are free too. I also do not mind if people wish to buy software, but a decent free alternative should be available. I can afford to pay for it, but this is just my opinion. Businesses aim to make money off consumers. In a healthy business environment businesses should be listening to consumers. If most people won't pay for an instant messenger they will not charge you for it. When customers don't keep businesses in check they get the wild idea that they can milk money out of you any way they wish. For example, charging for incoming text messages on a phone service. This would have been seen as completely ridiculous, but because people were too lazy to take action it was implemented by a few companies.

What are your thoughts on the current state of instant messaging on the iphone/ipod touch platform?

Please try not to post usless things like "You're cheap, get a job." or start flaming with other people because you can't handle the fact other people have different opinions. If you have a different opinion or you are super satisfied you can express yourself in a way that isn't overly hostile.

Jesus my posts are way too long, I've been out of school for a while... I'll try to be more concise in the future.
  2. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I agree. It should have been there from the start.
  3. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Personally, I've hated all the messengers that are available to the App Store. The only one I use, is AIM, since its the only protocol I use and has the most people added. I think IM+ doesn't need a separate registration. The reason why you need to sign up, is because you are using their servers to connect to the server of the protocol you use. And this, I'm not sure why. I would really like if they could be allowed to port over Adium from Mac OS X, since it works so well and doesn't need external sign up.

This is mainly to save energy and improve on performance, as per the reason why they don't Apple background stuff.

- Price: Maybe a lot of people will disagree with me but, I would never pay for an instant messaging program. Most instant messaging clients are free. On your desktop computer it's free, its free officially from just about every instant messaging service, its free on other mobile platforms, its free 99% of the time. [/Quote]

I'm 100% with you on this. No one should have to pay for any application like an IM client where so many are Free, better designed, and prevalent than those shareware clients. Especially on Mac OS X. Guess thats why there is no shareware client on Mac OS X, since Adium dominates. Though on Windows, I'm not sure why people like Trillian, it doesn't really have much over apps like Miranda or Pidgin or Digsby.

I really don't mind it all. I don't really connect to the internet with my device at all really. I just don't see the need to do anything online with it. Not updating my social networking sites or IMing people. If I want to talk to someone, I'll call them or IM them at home.
  4. Boop

Boop New Member

IM+ doesn't require separate registration, but it falls prey to all the other criteria. The IM+ Lite version does not allow you to stay online after you switch apps.

You don't necessarily need to sign up for their servers. The only reason they ask for sign up would be to promote their own protocol, or for the use of special features that they offer like voip.

I've used Adium and it has to be by far one of the best messaging applications out there. I currently use it's counter part Pidgin on my pc. Something very interesting to note is that Adium, Pidgin, and Apollo IM (the jailbreak application for messaging) all run on the opensource code of libpurple. The library has support for most, if not all, of the major IM networks. So either porting Adium, or resuming development on Apollo IM wouldn't be so hard to implement.

I don't really need the use of background tasks, but right now because there is no proper push service applications can not recieve updates or most at least. The main issue for me is staying online for as long as I like when I shut my program down.
  5. Muffin15

Muffin15 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    like tesla, all my contacts are on aim, so that's the only IM app i use
    i haven't noticed any huge bugs or anything and it gets the job done, so i'm not looking for much more

however, something like adium would be awesome
    the only reason i don't use it as much as i use ichat is because it makes me visible on facebook since facebook has no invisible option
    if someone were to port adium to the iphone/ipod touch it would most certainly have to be a jailbroken app, as you'd lose customizability, half the point of the application, in publishing it to the app store

it'd also be nice to have some sort of SMS feature built in for the ipod touch that can send AND receive texts, as i know most services just send, or either send it through e-mail
    but, e-mail isn't an SMS
    this would be really nice, since it costs extra for me to text on my cell xP
  6. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I was told that it was because of libpurple that Adium couldn't be ported to the iPhone OS. Do you think you can provide more info?
  7. Boop

Boop New Member

I believe that because libpurple is open source there are certain clauses in the GPL license agreement that are broken when put on the App store. Probably something like the source has to be freely available? Apollo IM was a jailbreak application so this didn't apply. This may not be wholly accurate but I will look for the real reason.

Information on libpurple -> official and wikipedia

[edit]

From more research it seems like open source applications are just beginning to make an appearance. I believe the non-disclosure agreement (NDA) they had before definitely prohibited open source development, and thus libpurple. To support his I believe the NDA was dropped at about the same time Android was released. So to compete they needed to allow open development. Depending on the open source license it may still be hard to make your program comply to the license?
  8. andrewpiro

andrewpiro New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I agree 100%.
  9. chavanak

chavanak Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I personally use BeejiveIM and also I got it when it was on sale. Before I used to use IM lite but the necessity to stay online made me invest in beejive. I personally do not like being redirected to their servers but then there is no other option for me. Most of my friends/relatives are on yahoo and googletalk and I don't even have AIM account :p
    I also do not see companies like google or yahoo providing a dedicated IM client for ipod touch/iphone :(
    But Beejive is pretty reputed in my opinion and hopfully can be trusted. I contacted google on this issue somewhere in October and the reply was they do not verify these clients and have no plans for google talk to be ported to ipod. All in all i think the situation is use third party clients or login using google apps (in this case for google talk). Yahoo!! well its another story altogether.
  10. Boop

Boop New Member

Same here kinda. Basically everyone I know and a lot of people I meet strictly use MSN.

As for companies not providing official IM clients, it's definitely a shame. While the actual program Google Talk is currently only available for windows, with limited features, they seemed to have focused their efforts at making it a web application and it can be accessed on the web from just about any platform. They've even built a more specific iPhone version of the web app. I may be wrong on this but it should be able to keep you online and recieve messages while you close safari. It's just not able to notify you when you get new messages. Just not my cup of tea because I would like a stand alone all in one client.