The Apple Lie

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by brazlyn, Nov 12, 2008.

1. brazlyn

brazlyn New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Hello everyone,

at first, excuse my english, I'm not a native speaker.

Since the APP store has been out I have tried a lot of Games on my iPod Touch. But until today I've never played an iPod Touch game that really impressed me. Sure the graphics are amazing but the gameplay sucks most of the time. The racing games are pretty hard to control and a lot more fun played with a controller, an emulated keyboard is of course less fun than a real one and touch touch controlls and accellorometer alone isn't enough. I'm not saying gaming on the iPhone/iPod touch isn't fun at all but it sure is more fun on the other Platforms like PSP or DS.

If the iPhone had a D-Pad and an A and B button it would be awesome in combination with multitouch and the accellorometer, but right now it's just not that good.

Anyhow Apple claims that the iPhone and iPod Touch are the Gaming Platform of the Future and other developers say similar things.

Why are developers so into the iPhone and keep telling that it has such great controlls and is the best for gaming when it's just not true. Does Apple pressure the gaming industry?

I would like to know if anyone else thinks that way, or if most others think like Steve Jobbs.
  2. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Games that totally break your logic. Games that DON'T need The D-Pad + A&B:

• Fieldrunner
    • Mote-M
    • Topple
    • Mazefinger
    • Scoops
    • Zombie Invasion
    • Zombie Attack
    • Papi: Jump, Cave, Jump+, Jump Cave
    • Tap Tap Revenge + NIN Edition
    • Aurora Feint
    • Blocked
    • Square Master
    • Jelly Car
    • Keepy Uppy

And thats just a Sample off the top of my head. It is it's own platform in it's own right. It doesn't need to copy others to be fun.
  3. Dave C

Dave C New Member

It's the App Store.
    That's the future right there.
    24 hours available for appstore-aholics to buy buy buy.
    No distribution costs, and poof, it's available world wide through the App Store.
  4. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    • Virtual Villagers
    • Trace
    • Lumen
    • De Blob
    • Dizzy Bee
    • Flick Fishing
    • Flick Bowling
    • Cubic Man
    • Trism
    • Toy Bot Diaries: EL1
  5. brazlyn

brazlyn New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Sure there are some cool games, still gaming is more fun on the PSP or the DS. I mean i would also like to play an ego shooter (which is disgusting with the iPod controlls) or 3rd Person games.

As I said there are cool games but that doesn't mean it's the gaming Platform of the future.
  6. kevin1st

kevin1st Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    field runner best game ever. u dont need a d- pad because the comtrols are just sooo natural
  7. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    • Immature or obscene comments
    Buy a PSP/360/PS3/PS2/PS1/Xbox/Gamecube/GBA/GBASP/Gameboy Colour/Gameboy Pocket/Gameboy Chunky ... Etc.

You can't have a shooter on a platform like this.
  8. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Well, what are the PSP and Nintendo DS? GAMING HANDHELDS. They were designed specifically for gaming. The iPod Touch and iPhone were first and foremost, media players (Music and Movies) and internet enabled devices. Gaming came much much later. Notice why the Nintendo DS has little to crap media playback? PSP does alright, but not as good as the iPod Touch and iPhone.

Also, Shooter games aren't the most fun games out there. Just take a look at the Wii.
  9. brazlyn

brazlyn New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I think you don't get the point. I'm not saying the hole thing sucks... Fieldrunners is a lot of fun to play... But N-Gage 2.0 games are also Fun, that doesn't make it the gaming Platform of the future.
  10. jonaswills

jonaswills New Member

30% costs from developers, and took a week, not 24 hours.

the app store is attracting a lot of developers right now because it is *much* easier to release a game on it then one for a console, the ds, or even on pc/mac.... we've made a game on the pc/mac and the distribution is so saturated without good marketing your game will not succeed. On consoles you need NDAs with the manufactures, then you have to pay for SDKs and development consoles which can be very expensive, iTunes dev program costs $100, so pretty good deal.

I think steam and impulse are coming around to a similar distribution model which will hopefully improve gaming overall. Xbox arcade and the sony store still need some more work to be more open for developers.

the android will probably become pretty big, but they need better hardware, the g1's sucks.