[THE ANSWERS] to *ALL* your questions in regards to the iPod Touch Firmware 1.1.3

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.3 Discussions' started by Jodymitoma, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Jodymitoma

Jodymitoma New Member

THE ANSWERS TO ALL YOUR QUESTIONS IN REGARDS TO FIRMWARE 1.1.3!
    Last updated 3:54PM EST (-5:00), January 22nd, 2008.

Objective of this thread:
    This thread was created to answer any and all questions in regards to iPod Touch Firmware 1.1.3,
    iTunes 7.6, The SDK, The App Pack, Future Firmware Abilities, and Jailbreaking of the 1.1.3 Firmware.

[THE QUESTIONS]

When was firmware 1.1.3 released to the public?
    - Apple released the 1.1.3 firmware right after their MacWorld 2008 KeyNote, on January 15th, 2008.

What exactly does the 1.1.3 firmware do?
    - Actually, version 1.1.3 of Apple's iPod Touch firmware doesn't do a whole lot a good to the average user. The firmware fixes a few bugs here and there, and makes it harder to jailbreak. It also places the files and folders required to run the "App Pack" onto your iPod, but does not allow you to actually run them until you actually send Apple Inc. $20.00 through iTunes 7.6 for the pack itself. Oh, and it also gives you a less stylish dock image.

What exactly does the "App Pack" do?
    - The "App Pack" gives you "Mail", "Maps with Locator", "Weather", "Stocks", "Notes", "WebLinks", and the "Wiggle" ability, which allows you to move icons found on the spring board without having to use the "Customize.app".

Has 1.1.3 been Jailbroken?
    - Yes, it's officially been jailbroken by a team of 7 people consisting of two development teams, on January 19th, 2008.

Below are the blogs of two of the members working on this firmware jailbreak:
    - http://zibree.blogspot.com/
    - http://www.zdziarski.com/

Where can I get the 1.1.3 Jailbreak how to guide?
    - The jailbreak how to guide has not yet been released to the public. The seven programmers are keeping the guide from Internet release until the SDK is relased in late February 2008.

When will the 1.1.3 Jailbreak how to guide be released to the public?
    - Like I said above, 'late' February 2008, some time after the SDK is released to the public.

How hard will it be to jailbreak 1.1.3? Will it be a long and hard process?
    - We're not entirely sure at this time. According to "zibree", they (the seven programmers), are currently working on shortening the process for us all.

Is it possible to downgrade from firmware 1.1.3?
    - It most certainly is. If you are looking for a how to guide on doing so, please visit this thread

It looks like Rupert Gee has found a much quicker way to downgrade from 1.1.3. Check out his how to guide (with a .gif) here: http://rupertgee.wordpress.com/2008/01/17/worlds-easiest-113-to-111-downgrade/

If I update to iTunes 7.6, will it automatically update my iPod Touch to firmware 1.1.3?
    - As far as I know, this is not legally possible. No, it will not. You are safe to sync your iPod. When you sync your iPod, you will get a pop-up asking if you want to upgrade or not. Feel free to hit "No". While you're at it, if you feel you won't be upgrading for a while, feel free to check the box that reads "Don't remind me again".

When will the SDK be released to the public?
    - The SDK is scheduled for released 'late' February 2008, according to Apple Inc. We currently do not have an exact date of release.

Will the SDK be free of charge?
    - It is said to be free of charge, which of course would make the most sense. You could never know for sure, however.

What does SDK stand for, and what is it used for?
    - SDK stands for "Software Development Kit" or "Software Developer's Kit", which is a kit intended to make it easier for programmers to create software.

Will SDK-created apps be free of charge?
    - There have been rumors going around the Internet stating that the apps will probably cost around the $0.00(free) to $7.00 mark, but this was never verbally heard from or written by Apple Inc. Never believe everything you see on the Internet.

Will there be monthly software updates released by Apple Inc?
    - We could never be sure, but this is what many people are thinking... Reasons for thinking this are because Apple named the first software update of 2008 "January Software Update", thus giving the reason to believe that there would be a "February Software Update", "March...", ect.

Is version 1.1.3 of MobileMaps.app available for the 1.1.2 firmware?
    - No, it is not. I think there is something in the new firmware update that is required to run this application.

Will the 1.1.3 MobileMaps.app ever be available for the 1.1.2 firmware?
    - Not that we know of.

Will firmware 1.1.3 have a customizable summerboard like 1.1.1 and 1.1.2?
    - I recall seeing somewhere that this is not yet possible, as Apple Inc. changed the way the springboard is coded.

I can't see the "Buy" button in iTunes for the new App Pack! What do I do?
    - Make sure you're running firmware 1.1.3 on your iPod Touch, and running iTunes v7.6 on your computer (be it Windows or a Mac).

Is the "App Pack" free to those who bought their iPods after December 27th?
    - Try giving Apple a call at 1-800-MY-APPLE. Different representatives are giving different answers to many ifans.com members. It is being said that you will most likely not get the App Pack free though.

Will Adobe's 'Flash' player/software be coming to the iPod Touch in future firmware updates?
    - No one but Apple knows the answer to this question, so don't believe what you see. Just keep your fingers crossed and pray that it does, eventually!

What is the difference between iTunes 7.5 and iTunes 7.6?
    - Movie Rentals (Rent and watch movies then sync them to your iPod or iPhone.) (1.1.3 REQUIRED)
    - iPhone Ringtones (Turn songs from the iTunes Store into custom ringtones for your iPhone.)
    - iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store (Download music from the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store on your iPod touch.)
    - Starbucks (Walk into Starbucks and buy what's playing from your laptop, iPod Touch, or iPhone)

Will 'OktoPrep' still work if I upgrade to iTunes 7.6?
    It sure does.

Are all your questions regarding firmware 1.1.3 answered in this thread?
    - Most likely. So quit creating new threads asking for answers to questions that have already been answered time and time again. And for the love of God, don't create threads letting us know that 1.1.3 has been jailbroken. This news is now half a week old.

Thanks for your time, and happy posting!

I hope this thread has been helpful (to both, the members of this board, and Bgizzle himself; by easing the load on the servers).

2. jonboy

jonboy New Member

Wow.
    Sticky?
    Thanks man...
  3. [AFX]

[AFX] Well-Known Member

too many FAQs, slowly turning into the threads you speak of about multiple posts on the same issues.

helpful idea: instead of creating another thread about another FAQ, why dont you all just collaberate and have 1 thread?
  4. Jodymitoma

Jodymitoma New Member

'jonboy', thanks a million. Just trying to help.

'[AFX]', This thread answers any and all questions regarding firmware 1.1.3, downgrading, upgrading, date of release, the SDK, jailbreaking, itunes 7.6, availability of mobilemaps v 1.1.3, ect.

This thread basically is all the threads combined into one.
  5. jonboy

jonboy New Member

Right...there really isn't anything quite as comprehensive as this one, I don't think.
  6. [AFX]

[AFX] Well-Known Member

you didnt understand my post, i said that instead of everyone starting FAQ threads, authors should get together and create one single FAQ so everyone can contribute.

anyways, enjoy.
  7. jonboy

jonboy New Member

I understood it...I was just explaining why this is FAQ is necessary.

Please Register or Log in to view images

BTW...always wondered...what kind of guitar is that?
  8. Jodymitoma

Jodymitoma New Member

We've got the ability to Private Message people for a reason.

9. [AFX]

[AFX] Well-Known Member

i set mine off because i dont want people PM'ing me.

as for the guitar, it is actually a Dean Bass MLX, changed the initial pickup from a passive soapbar pickup to an active EMG pickup...much better tone and sounds good when performing.
  10. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    While I think that this is a great thread, I agree with [AFX] that there are too many FAQ threads.

Maybe a mod could merge them together (such as the ultimate guide)?