The ABC's of the IPT2G

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jordy2324, Sep 25, 2009.

1. jordy2324

jordy2324 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Long time lurker. First-time poster.

Finally caved in and am buying an Ipod touch. Picking it up in a few hours (used).
    It is 16GB.

Now I have some annoyingly dumb questions that would normally be found in the manual, but the guy I'm buying it from doesn't have that. So, please excuse my newb-ness while I fire away. (P.S. I also have a nano and a shuffle, so I'm not completely clueless)

1. Can I download the apps and stuff on my computer and transfer them over with the new firmware? Or do I have to download them on my phone?

2. How can I erase the old contents of the Ipod touch? I don't want someone else's music on it....

3. How can I start synching my ipod touch with my new computer. I think it's set up for my nano right now, and I've had real trouble trying to synch other ipods with this computer. I know you have to set it to manual synch before doing anything else. But that hasn't been overly successful....

4. How can I synch videos/movies/youtube clips I already have on my computer? I've tried opening them up in iTunes, with little success. They are all .mp4 files, so I'm thinking they should work?

5. Is there any third-party software that makes synching music/videos easier? For some strange reason I've had so much bad luck synching multiple devices with iTunes.....

6. Please drop some awesome advice. Like wicked sweet cool stuff that you guys all know about the IPT2G that I should know about (apps, features, hacks, etc.)
  2. Kayzo

Kayzo Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    1. You can do both. You can download apps in the App Store on the iPod Touch itself, or in the App Store in iTunes on your computer. If you get them on your computer, just simply sync them to your iPod.

2. Once you connect it to your computer, you can simply press "Restore" to erase everything that's on the iPod.

3. I don't think there's much to do. Simply connect and sync.

4. Don't know whats wrong here. D:

5. Not that I know of.

6. If you're on 3.1.1, you can't do much atm since there's no jailbreak out yet for the iPod Touch 2G.
  3. Mosaic

Mosaic Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    1. Both are possible

2. Simply restore the iPod

3. Connect the iPod, and open iTunes, then sync. Alternatively, hold down the shift key before you open iTunes, and click 'Add New Library.' This allows you to have two seperate iTunes libraries for your Nano AND your iPod Touch. (you can also make a third library for your shuffle, if you're so inclined.)

4. Drag them from your movie folder into your iTunes library, they should automatically copy over to iTunes.

5. Not that I'm aware of.

6. Wait until the jailbreak for 3.1.1 is released. If you're not familiar with jailbreaking, you will be. And trust me, it is extremely "wicked sweet cool stuff."
  4. jordy2324

jordy2324 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    sweet

awesome. thanks for the help, guys. really appreciate it.

if anyone has any good app/game recommendations...pass them my way (there should be a sticky for this... best apps?)
  5. Mosaic

Mosaic Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    There is!

You can find it here. ^__^
  6. zDSpider

zDSpider Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    You don't necessarily need to restore... Who knows what kind of errors you'll encouter (1602, 1604, etc). Just go to Settings - General - Reset - Erase All Content and Settings