THAT much of an improvement?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cam, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Cam

Cam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I have a 3G, and I'm looking to upgrade to a 3GS in September. I have a few Q's:

1: How fast is the startup/shutdown time compared to the 3G?

2: Is there a noticeable change in Data speed? Can I connect to my WiFi/3G Network and get data faster?

3: Do apps run better? For example, the dreadfully-laggy Katamari game.
  2. Ari.

Ari. Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    Hi,

1) not really tested, but boot up is kinda fast and will be alot faster with 3.1
    2) I found web pages load alot faster and you don't get them square boxes as much, speed is lovely.
    3) YES, YES, YES, not only do apps load up faster but ive seen games run very smoothly on 3GS and laggy on 3G, big intense games laod alot faster too.

I reccomend upgrading, everything feels alot smoother and ive not had ANY lagg yet with keyboard, pages etc etc

Note: ive noticed these on a non jailbroken device with 300 MB of free space.
    also, i reccomend getting MemoryInfo and just free up space once in a while, i can go from 80 MB - 160MB in 1 click.
  3. Spartigus

Spartigus New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Yeah, its def worth the upgrade. You know how the sms app takes time to load up if your in the middle of an sms convo, well on the 3gs its instant. Same with contacts loadings

Please Register or Log in to view images

. Everything is a whole lot faster.

The compas thing is a bit of a gimmick, because it often gets interference, but possibly as FW gets updated, it will be improved?.

The voice control is actually very accurate, i love it, but i dont really use it because i dont need to lol.

EDIT:
    I often watch other people on a 3G (im on a 3gs) and look at speed comparison and its very noticeable

. When i first got it, i just opened apps to see how fast they were, it was fun

The video camera is fun too, works nicely

EDIT: Yeah get MemoryInfo, i love it. Whats nice is that it closes background apps like mail, safari and ipod for when you dont want them running in the background.

EDIT:
    I dont think data speed is increased, but the rate at which data is processed is increased. So loading websites and connecting to IM is a lot faster.
  4. SeeFreaky

SeeFreaky New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    1) Shutdown I have not tested, but startup, compared to my friend's 3G is much faster. However, this may depend on the number of apps, and space you've used up. I have about 12 apps, and 22GB leftover.
    2) No, not really. This is on AT&T's side. I'm still waiting for them to upgrade their network to the advertised 7.2 mbps.
    3) That, I must say, is phenomenal. All my apps are extremely snappy, especially the games. I have not personally tested it with Katamari, but I do know that with stoneloops, it opens up in 6 seconds from the time I press the icon to the time the main menu comes up.
  5. Alok

Alok New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    1. Yes! My 3GS boots in 10-20 seconds. Sometimes even quicker. My dad's 3G takes 40-60 seconds
    2. AT&T has not upgraded to HSDPA yet, once it will, 3GS users will have x2 data speed. At the moment, it is still a bit faster because the rate that it can process the data exceeds howevermuch the 3G's rate is to process the data
    3. Yes, much much faster. Sometimes 1-2 seconds. Sometimes 5-10 seconds! (Pocket God loading)
  6. Ari.

Ari. Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    ah i forgot to mention voice control, with voice dialing ive never had a wrong number dialed, and with musi cits 90% accurate, it sometimes mis udnerstands you or if you say wrong command it does something else but its pretty good, esp for hands free driving

7. SeeFreaky

SeeFreaky New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Well, if you have anymore questions, I think Ars Technica's 3GS review is pretty comprehensive. It has video examples, but the review itself is rather long.
    Ars Technica iPhone 3GS Review
  8. Ryuzaki

Ryuzaki Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)