Textfree Unlimited with Voice Calling

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by streambeam, Oct 1, 2010.

1. streambeam

streambeam New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    So today I got the beta for the new textfree unlimited with voice calling. Im not sure how many people also got this, but judging from the lack of post, Im guessing not many. Anyways, I thought Id post a small review.

I know what your gonna say, "If you want to make voice calls, get yourself an iphone", well I don't have that kind of cash. So shut up about it already.

As far as the app is concerned, everyone knows the app gives us unlimited free texts with a "real" phone number from which you can text and be texted, provided your in wifi range. Well now you can call and be called on that same number, provided once again your on a wifi network.

Here's a screen shot of the new toolbar at the bottom, which now features the dial pad.

Please Register or Log in to view images

To make a call just choose from your contacts or dial a number on the pad.

The app will tell you how strong you signal is and therefore the quality of your call, which can range from poor, fair, good, to excellent (HD).

When I started the app, I was told I had ten free minutes. It gives you the option to purchase or earn free minutes.

You can earn free minutes by installing apps.

Or you can purchase minutes.

So anywho, call quality was great at my house because of the strong wifi signal, once at work the call quality was not so hot. So basically everybody's call quality will vary.

The call I made to my sister at home was great. She said I was very loud and clear. Though I must admit talking into my ipod was sort of awkward, since I didn't know where exactly the mic is located. The only downside is the volume, its not very loud but I was able to her hear her fine.

Have any questions, just ask, I'll try my best to answer if I can. The app is still free on itunes. Nothing is better than free. Thanxs.

2. Ariathell

Ariathell Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    the mic is located next to the camera.. and use the head phones with mic to get maximum quality at both ends.... another thing Id like to add to your review is that it does not support iOS multitasking so you cannot talk on the phone and do other things like you can do with skype. and there is a 5 second pause between when you answer the phone and when you can start talking to them... I like this new update but it has its flaws
  3. streambeam

streambeam New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Thanxs for additional info : )
  4. b777forever

b777forever Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone
    If you want to make voice calls, get yourself an iPhone

Just kidding, that's pretty cool feature. You basically have a iPhone if you are in a wifi hotspot.
    Doesn't textnow also have this?
  5. mush

mush Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    call/recieve call/text with the same number(using google voice number) is not new on the ipod touch, u just gotta know how to set it up
    but this might be the first app to integrate it all in one app, its good but u gotta pay or jump thru hoops to get free minutes lol
    i still like using a google voice number better cause u can log from ur computer too
  6. jorgeo1246

jorgeo1246 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I got this beta also and I have made several free calls... I have to say the quality of the call is very good and should I mention I'm using the iPod touch 4g!!
  7. JacobVengeance

JacobVengeance Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I had the beta a few days ago, but lacking a mic.
  8. eKoKnight

eKoKnight Member

I wonder when the final version will come out. Seems worth it to get it. That means no more skype for me lol
  9. iTouchEC

iTouchEC Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I have icall. Free calls! And on the call receivers caller id, it shows your actual phone number when you call. I heard it cuts you off after a certain time, but I made a 4 minute call and it never cut me off. And even if it does cut you off, you can recall right away. Can't believe it's free. Perfect sound quality. Only downside: before you make a call there's like a 10-15 second commercial ad.
  10. Relapses Wrath

Relapses Wrath Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    It really does look worth it.