Text 2 speech ipod touch

Discussion in 'Application Ideas' started by blink74, Apr 25, 2008.

1. blink74

blink74 New Member

I am visually impaired and i know that the touch has zoom but 1 word per screen os crazy...
    I would love if someone could port text to speech over to the touch.

Let me know if anyone is up to the challenge or if this has already been done...
  2. touchhacker101

touchhacker101 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    yeah, it would be nice if somebody did this.
  3. optimo

optimo New Member

only Apple could make this happen
    most textual applications have something called the `system prompt` or somesuch, this is a component that registers all the on-screen text to processor for accessibility features, such as speech.

So far with the open- or closed-SDK this is not at all possible across the gamut of installed programs. However, there is a longshot that you could make a custom version of Safari that would read passages from html elements.

The text2speech components built-in to Apples os-X is massively intensive and customizable. They certainly could attempt to add this functionality themselves, but I don't think they are supporting accessibiliy for iPhone/iPod.

you mentioned "1 word per screen".... does this mean you are zooming to the maximum?
    you do know that you can pinch-zoom to any size?
  4. mgladding

mgladding New Member

Hello blink74,

Here is one approach that you could try. It's not exactly what you're looking for but it's still useful. You can use a text to speech product on your PC to convert web pages, eBooks, etc to MP3 files which you can then listen to on your iPod. This is useful when driving or have difficultly reading from the screen.