Texas university giving freshmen iPhones and iPod touches

Discussion in 'General Apple Chat' started by possiblegurly, Feb 26, 2008.

1. possiblegurly

possiblegurly New Member

Schools and universities are often big fans of Apple products, which usually translates to labs and laptop carts full of Macs. Educational institutions across the country have also started to provide students with personal laptops. Louisiana recently launched a program to distribute MacBooks to elementary school students, and now Abilene Christian University in Texas is getting into the act as well. But rather than handing out MacBooks, the university will be distributing iPhones and iPod touches to all incoming freshmen.

ACU began exploring uses for mobile devices in the summer of 2007 and ran a pilot study with faculty and and educational technology developers to determine how the iPhone could be used by students. The group came up with quite a few uses for the devices, devising more than 15 iPhone applications that they hoped will be useful to students. These applications include homework alerts, in-class surveys, directions to classrooms and offices, and meal balance information, just to name a few.

The iPhone and iPod touch program is a direct result of the study, and the usage patterns of the incoming freshman class will shape future mobile device programs at ACU. The school is also considering other ways to integrate technology and education. CIO Kevin Roberts made a recent presentation to Apple and a number of other institutions (including most of the Ivy League) about the iPhone programs, so perhaps more schools will follow suit in the future.

ACU sign me up!

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. hovik818

hovik818 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    You saw this in Yahoo didnt you?
  3. Evalocity7

Evalocity7 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Wow! I wish I went to that school...Heck, I wish I could go to a school that would provide me with a regular ol' PC laptop anything would be awesome.
  4. simonrichards150

simonrichards150 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    If only this kind of thing was standard practice here

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. Chucky102

Chucky102 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    My Cousin goes to UH University of Houston and he got a MacBook Pro and an iPod nano (those new ones) just a month ago. Never heard of iPhones and iPod touches...
    I can't wait one more year til i graduate!!!!
  6. Blake

Blake Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I agree eva, the best thing we have is a cart full of Dell Inspirion(SP?) notebooks.
  7. eyezack87

eyezack87 New Member

No way this is free. Just watch, the fee's for classes/enrollment are gonna increase a little more than usual for this addition if they do it...
  8. mossme89

mossme89 Member

i go to high school in Clarksville, MD and a few years ago they gave out pocket pc's to ALL the students. The students had to return them, but the teachers kept them.
  9. ben471

ben471 New Member

10. full1

full1 New Member

wow that the only thing I can say.. Wish my school was like that