Tethering your iPhone: DO IT NOW! NO JAILBREAK!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by upd, Jun 18, 2009.

1. upd

upd New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    I would appreciate this getting stickied.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Here's the video tutorial I made, which follows these exact instructions.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ourNVkb1Xik

If you are unsure about this process, please check the FAQ at the end of this post before you begin!

Step 1:

Folks at BenM.at have hosted several iPhone tethering configuration files for many carriers across several countries. You need to go to the following link http://help.benm.at/help.php using iPhone's Safari browser.

Step 2:

Then click on Mobileconfigs on that page:

Step 3:

Select your country from the list.

Step 4:

Once you have selected the country, you will be prompted to select the provider.

Step 5:

Tap on the Install button.

Step 6:

Then tap on the Install Now button.

Step 7:

Tap on the Done button.

Step 8:

Finally, go to Settings -> General -> Network -> Internet Tethering and tap on the toggle button to enable tethering.

That's all, it is as easy as that and no hacking required, can you believe it and the best part is it's free.

But the way this hack has spread, I won't be surprised if AT&T clamps down on it soon so enjoy it till it works.

Please note that this is a hack so proceed with caution.

Source: Link

Here's the results, this is my iPhone running tethering!

Frequently Asked Questions.

No, internet tethering is taking the data that your iPhone receives over the 3G network and "forwarding" it, if you will, through the USB cable. AT&T would have no way of knowing that you do this, unless if they physically are monitoring how your data is being used on your device, which is an invasion of privacy and therefore illegal.

No. I would highly recommend you have an unlimited data plan before beginning to use tethering, because you are now loading more info onto your computer than the iPhone can handle.

If you think about it, iPhone cannot support flash. So flash advertisements now have to be loaded over the 3G network on sites that you used to visit on your iPhone. Also, the iPhone has mobile website support, which takes less data than full-version websites. Some websites that you would visit on your iPhone in the mobile version would load now on your computer in full-version, requiring more data transfer over the 3G. Therefore, I recommend you have an unlimited data plan if you are going to be using internet tethering regularly.

Yes. In theory, if you uninstall the profile it should remove tethering. However, this is not what I have experienced. You may need to restore your iPhone to remove the feature completely.

No. Internet tethering is already built into the iPhone. This little trick just unlocks it. It's exactly like the Emoji that you easily unlocked with some free app in the Appstore. The support is built in, but by default (due to the location in the world of the iPhone) it is disabled. It is not any worse than jailbreaking, and that doesn't do anything to your phone considering all you do to get rid of that is restore.

Yes. I don't have a Mac, but there is a confirmation on the YouTube video that a user got it to work with Mac.
  2. Pandawg

Pandawg Community Development

This is really offtopic, but how do you get it to tell you the % of battery life you have left?
  3. tornbacchus

tornbacchus New Member

whats the thing i need to insall to allow safari to allow me to install stuff, cause when i click on install, it wont let me install.

thanks.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    o wait, i guess we have to update to 3.0, nvm
  4. Conya

Conya Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Didn't work for me, I'm in Australia, and use Telstra (I used telstra.iph because thats what my phone was set as before..), and it doesn't come up in Network (after going into settings)
  5. Ari.

Ari. Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    doesnt work, just gives me the option to set up, but links me to O2 site.
  6. upd

upd New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    You guys need to be on version 3.0. If you aren't then this won't work. Also, I think this is for 3G only.

I do not know what to say about other countries/carriers. This was posted on another forum and there were several confirmations that it works, but only a few said it doesn't.

What step are you all getting stuck at?
  7. Ari.

Ari. Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    im on 3.0 and 3G and it doesn't work with O2.
  8. MrDennings

MrDennings Banned

• Flaming and/or trolling
    its a fake
  9. upd

upd New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    The hell? No it's not, you don't even have an iPhone so GTFO of this thread.

It may not be working with some carriers, AT&T may have already updated their network to prevent new people from doing this, but when I wrote this last night I had done it not three hours earlier.

I'm sorry, these are the instructions I followed and the iPhone owners of the other forum I am a member of followed, and many of them confirmed it worked, but there were a few that said it didn't. Try restarting you iPhone and try it again. The instructions on that website are the most I can give you, you should know how to debug the problem and figure it out. I guess I'll put a video up later of me doing this.
  10. kixphlat

kixphlat Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    As long as your network settings are okay, it should work fine