Review Terminator Salvation

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by -tcq42-, May 30, 2009.

1. -tcq42-

-tcq42- Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Terminator Salvation
    The not-so-awesome version of Gears of War

Please Register or Log in to view images

At first-glance, Terminator Salvation is a game that provides a lot of eye-candy and the appeal of a big old franchise license. Nevertheless, there's always a reason why movie games never turn out all that awesome. The game itself came out a couple of weeks before the movie itself came out. The movie was mediocre and it turns out that this game is also pretty mediocre. Terminator Salvation features some great visuals and if it had a story that made sense along with some better controls and non-linear gameplay, it would have been one of the iPhone's best shooters. Nevertheless, it almost falls short of Brothers in Arms, which in my opinion, is this game's predecessor.

When I first saw the mock screenshots of this game on MTV Multiplayer, it looked great. Of course, that was a mock-up. The actual visuals within the game are not much worse than that of the mock-up. Both John Connor and Marcus Wright (the characters you will play as) look great, as do the terminators (T-600 and the Hunters). The only thing that doesn't look good are the scouts. They look like horribly made UFOs in hoax UFO videos. The game has several locations to play in. Crumbling high-ways, a harbor, a laboratory, and as always, there's always a lot of junk lying around. After all, Judgment Day already happened. Overall, the visuals are some of the best you will see from a shooter on the iPhone and looks much better than Brothers in Arms.

Rip that Terminator to shreds Marcus!

After being impressed with the visuals, you'll find out that this game gets pretty damn old, real quick. The gameplay, to say the least, is very linear, as with most Gameloft games. It's as if they expect you to just get from point A to point B the exact same way everybody else did. You follow the arrow. I guess it makes the game go by more quickly because we are talking about a mobile game here, but if you're going to make this game fun, you might as well give the player some options instead of telling him, "here's the arrow, follow the damn arrow." I mean, it's great to shoot terminators with infinite ammo (you get infinite ammo on your default assault rifle and shot gun), but if that's all going to happen in the game, it's boring. Literally, most of this game is basically shoot terminator, shoot spiders, shoot terminator again. It almost gets predictable. It gets to a point where it's no longer to shoot the crap out of a T-600 and then stepping on its head after it's crawling for its life (well, that's still kind of cool).

Another one? How many of there are you? Doesn't Skynet get tired?

Gameloft tried to add a little more flavor by adding some driving missions along with mini-games. Problem is, they're not all that fun. There's one mini-game where you have to hack a circuit. You use the accelerometer to direct the green ball and you have to activate all the green circuits while avoiding the red ones. If you hit the red-one, the green ones all turn off and you have to do it all over again. And oh yeah, you have a time-limit as well. It should be pretty easy for most people though. The driving missions are horrible. They're linear and it's either easy or impossible. The one where you're in a jeep and have to blow up a big robot is pretty simple. You hit the flashing red spots and it dies after a few shots. Nevertheless, the motor cycle one is freaking impossible. I'll get to the controls later, but you can't aim side to side. You actually have to steer your motorcycle directly ahead or behind the enemy to shoot it. That's almost impossible to do without dying half-way through the mission. In a big way, this game just seems unfinished and unpolished from a gameplay side of things. It's linear and repetitive. I think the game could have used at least a couple of more months at the developers' studio.

Why doesn't this seem more epic?

The game plays a lot like Brothers in Arms. It also controls a lot like Brothers in Arms. In my opinion, this is a more polished version of Brothers in Arms with Terminator skins. The default controls are the same as Brothers in Arms. You use one analog to control forward and backward movement and you swipe the screen to aim up, down, left, or right. There's also alternate controls, but the default is by far the best. I really used to like the two-analog scheme in Brothers in Arms. Too bad that scheme is gone from this game. At times, this game seems ridiculously slow because the controls tend to get giddy on you. You might want to notch down the sensitivity at times. Also, the characters run so slowly in this game. I mean, really slow. You used to be able to run in BIA. What happened to that? These guys are literally jogging in slow motion. In addition, the cover system also needs a lot more work. Sometimes, when you walk next to a barrier, you don't auto-cover. You have to press forward on the analog again in order to go into cover. So when you're being shot at by a Terminator, you might end up there frozen for half a second because you forgot to press into the barrier and you're just standing there with a bulls-eye on your forehead. Nice. My question is: why would you go to a barrier just to stand there? I thought they were for cover! What's even worse is that when you're covering to the wall and you want to turn the corner and shoot, it doesn't let you sometimes. I'm telling you, this game could have been so much better if they didn't rush it. It's not polished enough. The controls on the driving missions are even worse. You get this little gear thing on the left side and you have to swipe the screen to turn left or right. This doesn't work all that well. The motorcycle one is ever worse. You don't get to accelerate. You don't even get to aim to your left or right. You only get to turn and shoot. Talk about being linear. Although the controls of the game are playable, they still need a lot of work and they take a lot away from the experience of the game.

This level was awfully frustrating.

I was disappointed to find that this game didn't feature the Terminator theme. That theme is totally badass and it just isn't Terminator without the Da Dun Da Dun Dun, Da Dun Da Dun Dun in it. I swear, when I heard that at the beginning of the movie, it got me pumped. This game didn't have it, so I wasn't all that pumped, unfortunately. The game has no voice acting at all. The story is all-over the place and even if you read the story text in between missions, you still won't know what's really going on. What's horribly not worth your money about this game is that it lasts around an hour and a half. You unlock extreme mode after finishing the game and you get to play with a Terminator, but would that really make it cool enough for you to waste another hour and a half? Talk about wasting $10 (I got it when it was still $10, now it's $5). You could have bought a lot of things with those $10. Like you could of had it your way at a Burger King for lunch or you could have bought Need For Speed or Tiger Woods. Yeah, too late now.

Die!

In conclusion, Terminator Salvation is a game that could have been so much better. If it had better controls, less-linear gameplay, and a story that wasn't confusing, it could have been a great game. But, it didn't have any of those things and it's just a mediocre game. The visuals and the license are about the only things that interested me. However, if you've seen the Terminator movie, and liked it, you might want to pick this one up just for some dramatic after-effect. If you're really hungry for a shooter with eye-candy, pick this one up as well. However, if you're looking for the best game at the best value, go buy something else.

Ratings
    Pros: Great visuals, somewhat interesting gameplay since it's a Terminator game. Now only $4.99!
    Cons: Linear gameplay, controls needed more polish, way too short.
    Gameplay: 7 - Still cool to shoot Terminators, but it gets old after a while.
    Graphics: 9 - One of the better looking titles in the App Store.
    Audio: 7.5 - No voice acting and where's the awesome Terminator theme music?
    Presentation: 8 - Could have been better for such a big license.
    Replay Value: 7 - It's an hour and a half game. Play it once and it's done.
    Overall: 7.8 - It's not for everybody, but it has some good appeal to Terminator fans, Third Person Shooter fans, and Gameloft fanboys.

Buy on iTunes

Gameplay Video

Attached Files:

2. qasim

qasim New Member

Damn, great review! Looks like we've got some competition here!!

Anyways, I completely agree with you.. It is too repetitive, but it has great graphics.. But I still don't think it's worth it..
  3. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    That is a very lengthy review, it'll be a good read

Nicely layed out.
  4. -tcq42-

-tcq42- Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I write a lot of fluff. Good fluff though, lol. It's a skill I've learned over the years in AP English.
  5. sprint_user

sprint_user New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Thanks, great review!