Terminal in 1.1.3 logged in as mobile, not root?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Underdawg, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Underdawg

Underdawg New Member

why is it that in terminal on a 1.1.3 iPoT, I am logged in as mobile?

I was trying to spoof my MAC address
    Code:
    #ifconfig en0 ether 00:00:00:00:00:00
    but then I get this message:
    Code:
    ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): permission denied
    so, I wanted to see what I was logged in as
    Code:
    whoami
    and I see this:
    Code:
    mobile
    What?!? Why not root?
    So, obviously I need to log in as root
    Code:
    su
    Code:
    Password:
    I put in "alpine", which is the password I kept for the SSH, and I know it works because it works in the Terminal on my home computer. After putting in "alpine", I get this message:
    Code:
    su: incorrect password
    WHAT!?!? As a test, I go to my Terminal on my home computer, and do the exact same thing, BUT "alpine" works when I put it in the Password field...

SO, my question(s) are...Why can't I log in as root on my iPoT's Terminal, but i can through my computer's Terminal? Do I need to edit something in my home directory (ie. master.password, passwd, profile?)? Is this happening because I am running the "Official Dev-Team Jailbreak" for 1.1.3? Will it work on 1.1.2?

Underdawg
  2. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

1.1.3 does not allow root access. Everything gets run as user Mobile.
  3. Underdawg

Underdawg New Member

Thanks for the reply.....but why is that? Is there any way to fix this?
  4. Paintball

Paintball New Member

The reason is because with the SDK release, if everything ran as root, one persons iPod could access another persons and then would be able to change important files. If the permission is denied, then the security risk is greatly reduced. As for fixing it, I don't think there is a way yet. You may have to downgrade if you want to spoof the MAC address.
  5. Underdawg

Underdawg New Member

yeah, right now (as I post), I'm using a friend's jailbroken 1.1.2 iPoT. Logged in as root, I successfully spoofed the MAC address. The whole reason I'm trying to do this is to get internet here at school. I found the MAC address of my computer that I use in my AP Computer Science class. Now that I have the MAC address changed to that of my computer, how do I get internet through the router (basically, how can I make the router recognized the iPoT)?
  6. Paintball

Paintball New Member

Go to settings>wifi>and see if there is a name of a network that does not have a little lock icon next to it. If it does, then you will need the password. And if there aren't any names at all, then you will probably need to get an app called Stumbler, and search for a hidden network. But you will need to find out the name of the network, because the name is not "<hidden>". You will also need to find out if there is any encryption on the network. PM me if you need help with this.
  7. javipa01

javipa01 New Member

if you enter by ssh you can login as root and change your mac address, i do it and works, to enter by ssh run terminal and write ssh root@localhost your password is alpine if you do not change it