temp fix for wifi WAP issue

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Rekil Goth, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Rekil Goth

Rekil Goth New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Disclaimer: I'm no IT guy!

As with some of you, I to am unable to connect to my d-link DIR-625 router using either WAP or WAP2. I have tried many of the suggested solutions posted on various sights, but have been unsuccessful with the same "unable to connect" message that others have received. So, I tried something a little strange and it worked until my battery ran below 20%. I not sure if a low battery will inhibit a wifi connection. Perhaps someone on here can educate me on this matter.

Ok, here is what I did.

1. Change router setting to b/g instead of b/g/n (not new idea)
    2. Enter router information as "other" under WiFi network settings. btw I am
    using WPA. (not new idea)
    3. Before I pressed "join", I toggled the sleep switch 5x and waited 10 sec
    before I turned it on for a sixth time.
    4. After turning it on, I pressed "join" and immediately pressed the home key
    and immediately hit the safari key and loaded google. This was all done
    before I received the "unable to connect" message. (new idea?, not sure
    why I did this)

Anyways, this worked and I was able to use safari, maps, email and a few apps with no problems. After about 1.5 hrs my battery ran low and I was no longer able to connect. Once I recharge I am going to try this again.

I am not saying this will work for sure, but it is worth a try. Hopefully, it will work for others. Please post your results, comments and recommendations as some of us are still struggling with this issue.

cheers.

PS: reset your network connection before you even begin.
  2. 1strail

1strail New Member

IPOD Touch Dlink WAP procedure - not a workaround

This post got my attention after trying various google searches with this post showing up in most searches, so I am hopeful that I can help all of you folks out there who are pulling their hair out trying to get the IPOD touch to work with d-link routers having WAP vs WEP which you should have no problem doing. I discovered this quite by accident and it is not an Apple problem. Use the following procedure.

1.) Make sure that your IPOD touch can see your network and get your IPOD to the point where you have entered your password, but DO NOT hit the join key - this assumes that you already have your D-Link set up on WAP and know your password, if not, start with step 2, otherwise go to step 10.

2.) Depending on your router, you should be able to get into the router administration screen, I have a DIR-655 Draft-N Extreme and use Network Magic, but any D-Link router manual will tell you how to get into the administration screen.

3.) Once in, go the the set-up tab and select wireless set-up. Scroll down to "Manual Wireless Network Set-up.

4.) Once in, name your SSID to whatever you want, you may have this done already (Wireless Network Name)

5.) I chose 802.11g, 802.11n and 802.11b as my 802.11 mode, you can pretty much set this based on your slowest device that connects to your network.

6.) Under Wireless Security Mode (next section under wireless network settings) and choose WPA-Personal

7.) Under that is the WPA settings. I chose WPA only, TKIP, and 3600 seconds

8.) Next, go the the shared key and use a strong alpha/numeric/special character string for your shared wireless devices, WRITE IT DOWN

9.) Save your settings 1st and reboot the router from the tools > system > reboot screen or simply cycle the power.

10.) Go to the Wireless Set-up screen in the D-Link administration tool and choose "Add Wireless Device with WPS"

11.) you should have an option that allows "auto" or "manual" set-up.

12.) Leave it on Auto and click on "Next" screen which will present you with "PIN" and has a place for a PIN number and another option that says "PBC",, click on PBC and click on "connect"

13.) You will then see a screen that begins counting down from 120 something seconds, NOW HIT THE JOIN KEY on THE IPOD AND IT WILL CONNECT INSTANTLY.

I let the countdown continue until it timed out and then canceled the offer of connecting again and then cancelled out of the next screen to loose my settings (don't worry, it won't disconnect your IPOD!). Thats it!!! Maybe someone can forward this to apple and reduce the hundreds of calls and e-mails they must get concerning this procedure.

Note - With WEP, you don't need to use the push function, it just works immediately, with WAP you have to get the router open to accept the IPOD push login and it works without a doubt. Please feed back if I missed anything in the steps, but I think I covered it all.

One last thing, You may need to go into the IPOD under Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings and reset the Network settings to get it to the point where you can enter your WAP password to get it ready before step 10.
  3. hyzteric

hyzteric New Member

hi there,

thanks for the post that helped me connect my brand new ipod touch to my dlink dir-655

i have just one small modification to the procedure that was needed for my ipod to connect successfully (and immediately)

first on that model (dir655), the option to choose is not "auto" (there is no "auto" option anyway) but "push button", then (we're around step 12 here), i had to press "join" on the iPod BEFORE i clicked on "connect" on the dir-655 web interface and voila, my ipod is connected!

thanks again anyway, without this post, i would still be looking for a solution! ;-)
  4. britches

britches New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    You are my G.D. HERO

I'm not joking you, I just made an account JUST so I could tell you that you are my freaking hero 1strail. I literally have not been able to connect my 2nd generation iPod touch to my wifi ever since I got it in July (I can connect at work where I primarily use it). You just solved my problem in like 10 minutes!!!! I am in happy awe- thank you SOOOOO much.

Please Register or Log in to view images

I wish I could buy you a drink or something hehe. >.<
  5. Gershmer

Gershmer Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    ^ Hey buddy! Read the date!
  6. jjookie

jjookie New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I also registered to simply say thanks to 1strail. I did notice one issue where one of my password key characters changed capitalization somewhere in this process. In my case, let's say my key was aaaa, and I enter aaaa on my iPod touch, my device would not connect after following 1strail's steps. I then checked the wireless settings by selecting "Manual" setup instead of "Auto" in step 11. It was there I noticed that my key was changed to aAaa. After I entered aAaa on my iPod touch, I was finally able to connect to my DIR-628 router.
    Now I figured I must have accidentally changed my key along the way, but I verified I was able to sign into my network on my laptops using the original aaaa key, so this does not appear to be a user error, but perhaps another bug on the D-Link side.
    Regardless, I'm happy that I am now able to use wifi at home. It was frustrating when I'd be able to access the Internet almost everywhere else besides my own home!
    Thanks again!
  7. troubledxx

troubledxx New Member

I'm still having some issues with my ipod touch connecting to dlink. I'm not much of a computer expert and I had just recieved my ipod today. Could someone maybe messenger chat to explain these steps? I'm not sure what I did wrong.

Was my ipod supposed to be connected to the computer with the wireless router attached to it?
  8. SoBe

SoBe Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    big bumps right here
  9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Thanks!

I was searching for a way to connect my Samsung Blu-Ray for Netflix and found this site. Worked GREAT! Thanks!
  10. pauls

pauls New Member

Yeah it's an old thread, but thought I'd add my 2 cents.

2nd gen Touch. Tried the described procedure and I still couldn't connect.
    So I changed the DIR-655 settings (Setup | Wireless Settings | WPA). I had "WPA Mode" set as "WPA2 Only", so I changed the "Cipher Type" from "TKIP and AES" to "AES" and saved the settings.

Tried the above procedure again and my Touch joined right away. Interestingly the DIR-655 didn't think anything had joined, but the Touch was working fine.

Perhaps this is a bug in the DIR-655, because the WPA section descriptive text seems to say that AES is the cipher when WPA2 Only is selected.